Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY irs into a VT

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
Where is the best place to put the jack stands when removing the subframe???

cracker

Reaction score
so i just need the subframe? my vx ss series one chews the insides out something horrible for $100 seems like a pretty good solution, last set of 18's that i had changed the insides were on belts and the outters we still road worthy...

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Where is the best place to put the jack stands when removing the subframe???

Great question! I put them under the rear jacking point (for the scissor jack incase of flat tyre) when I did mine by memory. they don't look to god anywmore.

Cracker, read the whole thread carefully so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to do this modification. there's a bit more to it than just the bare minimum parts required.

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
I've got a couple of questions:

1. Best place to put stands while doing this?
2. What size torx bit is neded to remove the rear hubs?
3. I am putting a VZ v6 subframe etc into a VX V8, I know I need to get another exhaust hanger/bracket welded on but is that the only mod needed, as I saw one of the EBay sellers said an extra hole needs to be drilled...

Thankyou.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Ok i used the scissor jack in the points for a flat tyre and i put the wheels under the car aswell just to make sure for extra safty ...

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
1 under the normal rear jacking points
2 it's not a torx bit it's an 8mm allen type socket with an 8mm straight allen key. unless somebody changed them. Make sure the key is completely in the slot before you put any weight on it. the slot is very shallow. probably pay to clean the slots out with a small screwdriver and compressed air if you have a compressor
I had mine out a couple of weeks ago.
3 for the hole, look at your V8 cradle when you get it out, you will see it then. drill one same size in the VZ cradle, no problem
Glowworm, scissor jacks are deadly to work under. even with tyres under. best way to go is trolley jack under the diff and stands under the jacking points. if the car is too low for trolley jack, put the scissor jack under the side and lift the car until the trolley jack fits under.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Just a question on this, Are the V6 and the V8 cradles the same, if I pick up a v6 cradle and use my V8 diff will it work or are the driveshafts ect need to be from a v8 model?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The only difference I can think of is the rubber tailshaft coupling on a V8 a few mm is thicker than a V6 to the tailshaft might be a slightly different length. Aside from that I think the diff and cradles are the same.

Good dig by the way, I've never seen this thread and it was a cracking read

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
I recently put a VZ V6 cradle in my VX Clubsport.
The V6 driveshafts fit fine and I just used my old rubber coupling.

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust now hits the LHS toe rod mounting bracket.
So I have had to leave some of the exhaust mounting rubbers off to let the exhaust clear the bracket slightly. No idea why this is the case...