Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

WayneW

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Monaro CV8
Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and found this great thread, I was wondering if there was anywhere or anyone in Brisbane I could take my car to and have the cluster re-programmed? I have an 04 CV8 Monaro, basically a VY/VZ dash, I just fitted a dash from another 04 Monaro and the fuel gauge is not working correctly, it is just always showing just over 1/4 when the car is full.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I think that upgrading the cluster is one of the best little interior upgrades there is, so I decided to undertake this myself, with a great deal of help from TazzI, who reprogrammed the cluster for me, and provides top-tier after service support,

So you all know how fugly the stock Executive dash is, (Executive dash pics borrowed from web because I forgot to take photos before removal),

6507kc_20.jpeg

vz20executive20instrume.jpg

And now my new Calias dash (my photos)

20130409145340.jpg

20130409145249.jpg

I much prefer the white dials over the green, looks much better. And the small amounts of chrome adds a touch of class. I also love the much larger sweep of the needles, makes you feel better about your pissy V6 seeing the needle move that fast :p
So cheers, TazzI.

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
habygesu.jpg

This is mine Replaced my executive one
arady9u5.jpg

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
greetings from the UK :wave:

we have a number of VY and VZ cars over here most of which where brought over via Vauxhall and as such have a VX startup logo.

i am interested in the cluster programming you have been doing as we wish to put the Holden / HSV start logos on our cars and enable the short lights and change the shift light rpm. from the screen shots of your little program i can see this is possible.

could you tell me if you little program is available ?

Dont think it would be a VX startup.. would be a pontiac symbol right? (if its a gto or vz?). VY commodores have two different chev logos, standard holden, HSV and a omega symbol!
As for the program, its on its last development stages. Just double checking its fine for vt/vx clusters. The vy/vz is completed... although its also good for vt/vx!:beer chug:

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and found this great thread, I was wondering if there was anywhere or anyone in Brisbane I could take my car to and have the cluster re-programmed? I have an 04 CV8 Monaro, basically a VY/VZ dash, I just fitted a dash from another 04 Monaro and the fuel gauge is not working correctly, it is just always showing just over 1/4 when the car is full.

Sounds like you took the cluster from a different series Monaro eg Series 1 or 2. Putting the wrong series cluster in a car causes the cluster petrol gauge to work in the wrong direction (read the programming section!). Cant simply fix this with a diagnostic tool. Needs custom programming to sort the fuel gauge out.

*Note, as Iv found out.. (the hard way) there are some clusters that refuse the series swap configuration and go haywire!. Although this seems to only happen in a very small amount of clusters that I have dealt with. Only way to fix is to swap the fuel sender with the correct series sender!

So I think that upgrading the cluster is one of the best little interior upgrades there is, so I decided to undertake this myself, with a great deal of help from TazzI, who reprogrammed the cluster for me, and provides top-tier after service support,

So you all know how fugly the stock Executive dash is, (Executive dash pics borrowed from web because I forgot to take photos before removal),

And now my new Calias dash (my photos)

I much prefer the white dials over the green, looks much better. And the small amounts of chrome adds a touch of class. I also love the much larger sweep of the needles, makes you feel better about your pissy V6 seeing the needle move that fast :p
So cheers, TazzI.

No worries, Its looking good though! Glad I could sort it out! No what you mean with the needle... makes you feel quicker... swear it gives instant horsepower (in your head!)

Nice!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
habygesu.jpg

This is mine Replaced my executive one
arady9u5.jpg

I've had my awesome Calias cluster in for 4 hours and my satisfaction with the colour scheme is already fading, cheers mate :p

Looks good.

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Yeah sorry mate haha and the morphing dash needles in the rpm section to top it off ;)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Bastard :)

Yeah I was looking for something close to that setup anyway. I got the stereo sorted, just need the switches and air-con, and of course the cluster windows.

WayneW

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Monaro CV8
Sounds like you took the cluster from a different series Monaro eg Series 1 or 2. Putting the wrong series cluster in a car causes the cluster petrol gauge to work in the wrong direction (read the programming section!). Cant simply fix this with a diagnostic tool. Needs custom programming to sort the fuel gauge out.

*Note, as Iv found out.. (the hard way) there are some clusters that refuse the series swap configuration and go haywire!. Although this seems to only happen in a very small amount of clusters that I have dealt with. Only way to fix is to swap the fuel sender with the correct series sender![/SIZE=1]

Thanks for the info, it is a difficult one, the guy I bought it off swears its from the same 2004 series as mine, and they both have the grey plug socket on the cluster, would you recommend giving up on it? I have put my original back in now so I know what fuel I have. Strangely when I do the system test with the new cluster all the gauges, including fuel go to half way as they should.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Thanks for the info, it is a difficult one, the guy I bought it off swears its from the same 2004 series as mine, and they both have the grey plug socket on the cluster, would you recommend giving up on it? I have put my original back in now so I know what fuel I have. Strangely when I do the system test with the new cluster all the gauges, including fuel go to half way as they should.

The "system test" has nothing to do with the clusters current programming, as in, all its doing is displaying the half way mark on the dials... it shows if the dials are calibrated correctly in regards to the face numbers. eg a S1 cluster and S2 cluster will display the half way mark regardless of the car it is in.. or even out side of the car, its a simple needle calibration test.

Id say that the guy you bought it off is either lying.. or has no clue and is just taking a guess? Since if its working backwards, then its the wrong series.

I recommend either trying to get it re-programmed or to buy another cluster and make sure its the correct series to avoid all the issues!

*Note to those requesting my program or information about it!
A few quick answers to the main questions Im getting:

Q: What does it do? What cars does it do?
It can reprogram vy-vz clusters to suit the next car it is going into! eg v6-v8, auto-manual.
Also does some special customizing including custom text, logos and numbering
It also has basic vt-vx cluster calibrating, this is still under review and requires more testing!

It also has srs airbag fault finding/displaying codes and can clear the faults for vy/vz commodores, is coming soon for vt/vx commodores. Will be in later updates.

Other special functions including looking up your radios pin number. Im sure many people know how frustrating it is when you dont have the pin and need holden to retrieve it for a lovely fee.

Q: Can it change my odo?
A: NO!, no such application will ever exist!

Q: Can it change my clusters fuel settings/series?
A: Yes, although is not guaranteed that the cluster will accept the swap. In most cases it does.

Q: When can I buy it?
A: It is not for sale as of yet. Its almost finished, just completing the finer details!

Q: What happens if it damages/corrupts my cluster?
A: It is the users responsibility to understand what they are doing and changing, if you dont understand it... dont change it!. Iv put in security measures to prevent entering bad values, but attempting to bypass these will end in tears! eg Changing the illumination from 100% to 160% will more then likely corrupt the cluster of blow fuses/leds!

Feel free to give suggestions/ideas or things you would like to see in it.