Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ alloytec (how do i change spark plugs)

mike123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra V6
Mint got away with it as the job went on I thought I was gonna damage something

gunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Berlina sports
i did mine yesterday for the 1st time, the drivers rear bolt is left in as is the passengers front bolt, undo hose etc, then i levered it up, replaced plugs easy as

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Upper Intake Manifold Removal

IMG_0588m.jpgIMG_0624s.jpg

Hi All, I just finished replacing my thermostat and housing, and removed the upper inlet manifold (Plenum in some workshop manuals - Haynes). This left the lower part of the intake manifold attached to the block. Holden use words such as intake manifold assembly - this is both upper and lower manifolds still bolted together as a unit as I see it. I marked the bolts etc as I did the job over 3 days and wanted no mixups down the track.
The images I have attached are after the specific bolts are removed to allow the upper manifold to be removed, exposing the remains of the paper gasket on the lower half of the intake manifold still attached to the block.

splatty46

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive wagon
my manifold is a silver one piece only five bolts holding it down

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Upper intake manifold and the lower intake manifold, or runners I think others called them.. To remove the lower use riceys way. Also a good way of doing the thermostat aswell.

I never replaced the gasket brtween upper and lower on my car and it was fine. You guys are way too sensitive and need to stop being little bitches. If someone has a different way why bash them for it. Accept it and move on.

Maces description is to remove the upper intake, that's because that's all they replaces

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
If your going to do something do it properly and not half arsed and short cut and hope............dont worry bout the coin and just take the manifold off....get a new gasket on there and while your at it clean out the crap in your manifold with carby cleaner...why people think quick and short cuts are best is beyond me....if your too lazy to do the best job you can 1st time then get someone who will to do it...other wise you'll be doing the job again...trust me id love a coin for every job ive fixed and redone properly from so called professional mechanics who took short cuts....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If your going to do something do it properly and not half arsed and short cut and hope............dont worry bout the coin and just take the manifold off....get a new gasket on there and while your at it clean out the crap in your manifold with carby cleaner...why people think quick and short cuts are best is beyond me....if your too lazy to do the best job you can 1st time then get someone who will to do it...other wise you'll be doing the job again...trust me id love a coin for every job ive fixed and redone properly from so called professional mechanics who took short cuts....

Professional mechanics arent going to dismantle and clean out the manifold for free when simply changing plugs. Let's try and keep the thread logical.

Not separating the manifold to save tearing a gasket is common sense, not a shortcut. Obviously if you want to clean it out then you separate, but as I said that's so obvious as to not require mentioning.

If I had a coin for every job done by a non professional that Ive had to fix Id be ten times richer than you.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold steel/rubber gasket reusable?

Whoops - posted it twice

Attachments

• IMG_0727 OIL in tube.jpg
    IMG_0727 OIL in tube.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 1,970
  • IMG_0732 Old & new plugs.jpg
    IMG_0732 Old & new plugs.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,464
Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold steel/rubber gasket reusable?

Decided to change my spark plugs, and trialed my various tools on the right bank center spark plug. Found a small quantity of motor oil (?) at the bottom of the spark plug tube. Soaked it up with cardboard strips before I loosened the plug. Is that some assembly oil from the factory? The seal on the ignition coil had been distorted upon assembly and seemed very dry. When I reinstalled the coil a light smear of motor oil on the seal helped the seal go in very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised by the old spark plug (09/2004 build and low km at 90Kms). I have the steel/rubber gasket between the upper manifold/plenum and the lower intake manifold. (Changed the thermostat housing a month or so back). The upper and lower manifolds can be split to do the spark plugs, and some contributors have implied that they did not have to replace the rubber/steel gasket as they loosened off the bolts moved the upper mainfold/plenum carefully to the side, replaced the plugs and refastened the upper manifold back into place. Is the final test of recycling the upper gasket that no air leaks are evident? I have a new gasket on hand, but curiosity has the better of me. So my query is, is the rubber/steel gasket reusable?

View attachment 156938View attachment 156939

Last edited: