Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ alloytec sparkplugs

paz-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
im goin to be doin my 120 000kms service soon,

it says in the book to change oil,oil filter & spark plugs.

i no how to do the oil & filter

but not 100% sure on how to do the spark plugs,

i know i have to take the manifold off,
ive been told that i may need to get some more gaskets incase i break the ones on there now??

my mechanic took my manifold off about 1yr 1/2 ago, i had to get some work donee on there, & he replaced my gaskets then. but not sure if there reusable.?

as i dont wanna take the manifold off & find that the gaskets on there are unusable, but they'd be metal ones aye, as he replaced my gaskets when he did the work??

and also would be very helpful if someone had pics on how to do this:)

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
mate i did my 110000km service a couple of months ago and i had to take the intake manifold off, i dont think there's any way around it. just go buy a new gasket or even get gasket paper and cut one out urself. easy as to cut it out urself and is proper and only costs like 5 bucks.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Wouldn't suggest trying to cut gasket yourself when you can go to holden and buy a brand new set for not much more. The gaskets for the manifold, if taken off gently, can be used again....but why bother. I had mine replaced when I had my plugs done last year and the cost was minor....from memory it was $25 or less. The gaskets are not metal gaskets. Buy some and use the new ones even if the others look usable. For the sake of a couple of dollars, why risk having to muck around again later on down the track with a leak from the used ones.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
The VZ was a paper gasket and can tear when lifting the manifold.

The VE is a metal gasket that is compatible and is re-usable. Cost is about $50.

paz-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I thought about the Mace setup for $150 but nobody on these forums seemed to mount a conclusive argument to go that way.

As for Ebay well the part is about $50 to $55 direct from Holden so why pay $70 (inc postage)?

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
get the manifold insulators - they replace the gasket and keep the temps down in the manifold which gives more response from the engine as its got cooler air going in.

I did my plugs a couple of months ago and put a set of insulators in at the same time - there ARE 6 bolts holding the manifold on so make sure you get the one right at the back...

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
mantello holden in fawkner quoted me $64 for the gasket, they said they only do the rubbery metal gasket as in the VE's. i will be changing my coils and the heater tap, and o/2 sensors at the same time as the plugs next week along with all the usual service items, mines on 115000km. check ur tap for leaks it looks easier to change with the manifold off, but mine has the L.P.G injectors in the way too.
insulators look good its only and extra $84 and u might gain some power and torque and economy so why not. bit iffy on smearing that gasket sealer s&*t every where tho.

paz-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz

thanx fellas,

well ive ordered the mace insulator one,
should be good i reckon, & yeh i was abit iffy about the gluee sealant, but after having a chat to the guy at mace engineeringg, about it he reckonn its fine, works really well, so now ill wait till i get it & wack it in:)

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
get the manifold insulators - they replace the gasket and keep the temps down in the manifold which gives more response from the engine as its got cooler air going in.

can you back this up with dyno results and Temp Readings before and after? Everyone i have spoken to has said the manifold is 'cool to touch' but that is about it! As for performance, i think it wouldnt be enough to notice a feel, maybe a drop in fuel economy though?