Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Alloytec timing

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I am not really following. What was wrong with those rocker arms? And what happened to the valve springs? If one valve looks lower with the springs on there, that spring must be broken. Did you download the manual from the site? It has everything you need to know about camshaft removal and installation.

Or maybe the valve stem is bent and the spring can't pull it into its seat.

Last edited:

Vzalloyissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2007 alloytec Leo 3.6
Hoping the stems not bent because I'd have to remove the head, I'm going to inspect the spring after removing camshaft, basically what I've noticed though is that the valves don't come up or down while the rocker arms are out and was hoping after installing new ones they would move again, I'll inspect springs and stems and get back to yous with the outcome. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm normally OK with cars but all this has crossed into a new territory for me haha

Vzalloyissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2007 alloytec Leo 3.6
So just for an update, no more misfire and it runs OK but I've got a lifter tick now, was thinking of running a bit of kero through it before pulling apart because I just drained and replaced oil as the manual says to do after removing cams but as my dad poured abit of oil on the exhaust by accident it steams up and smells bad so I'll wait abit, any suggestions for why I'd have a tick though, steps I took are simple

Replaced valve rockers
Re fitted cams
Reset timing
Then re installed everything
Then changed oil but not filter as I want to run some kero first, only dumped oil because coolant went from water pump to oil sump

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
That tic will probably go away. It is probably because you put new rocker arms. Or because you changed the position of the old ones. I reckon that is why the manual says make sure they go back where they came from. No worries, because it gets used to that after a bit and the noise disappears.

The other reason you can get a light tic is because you got gasket scrapings and your hair or whatever in the motor and they have now blocked the oil pick up. A tic is the very first sign of oil starvation. You have to remove the sump and clean the pick up in that case.

Vzalloyissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2007 alloytec Leo 3.6
Really don't want to pull the sump off, pulled the timing cover off and found one of the chain guides loose so tightened back up but can't test it because battery's dead, if I pour a little oil onto the rockers could that remove the tick? Normally when I hear lifter ticks I just run kero and replace oil and filter and it goes away but this time seems different

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What timing kit did you use?

Vzalloyissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2007 alloytec Leo 3.6
Mace morph timing kit, I have another kit I'll use the tensioners from that

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Well. I bet that’s a relief.

Vzalloyissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2007 alloytec Leo 3.6
Hey so back again with yet another issue, replacing the tensioner didn't remove the tick so decided to completely pull apart the right hand side to find that the valve has slightly moved into the head and by the looks of it, the head appears to be broken where the valve has collapsed in but what I don't understand is why they didn't hit the pistons.

Any recommendations on where to buy the head? Looked online but only seem to come across ones for the left side not the right