Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Auto 'Power Shift'

Jeesh5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Blown 5.7 A4
As said its just the shift points and read somehwere on here ages ago it is only effective up until 80% throttle. After that both modes will be the same.

have to disagree with that cos my ss will get down the quarter mile half a second quicker in power shift mode than economy shift mode

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
I find the problem with leaving PWR enabled is that because the 4L60E "learns", if you drive sedately it'll retard the shift points so that your PWR mode drives like normal, and PWR-Off becomes extremely sluggish, thus defeating the point of having PWR in the first place!

06vzcalais

Reaction score
took the car out and drove with A/s on and PWR still worked, i dont really see the benefits of having PWR on with A/S turned on can anyone enlighten me as to the changes the PWR button would make while in Active Select(A/S mode)

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
coz AS doesnt really work anyway :rofl2:

press ... wait ... wait ... wait ... wait ... wai,oh wait SHIFT

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I don't tow anything, but PWR is great on hilly, windy roads or with a carload of people.

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
Hi All

3 Days ago switched off the PWR Button just to see what difference it makes very little as I can determine unchanged my driving habits and only thing is a very very marginal difference in fuel saving PWR ON 12.4 now PWR OFF 11.8 average

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i can definitely spin the wheels for longer in my stock sv6 with the PWR n A/S mode on.

06vzcalais

Reaction score
coz AS doesnt really work anyway :rofl2:

press ... wait ... wait ... wait ... wait ... wai,oh wait SHIFT

having it is still beter than not having it thou
a little bit over the top with the waiting part it isnt that bad its comparable to the speed of the older xr6T manual shifting autos (shifting speed that is not overall car speed)
and im sure there would have to be some way of tuning it up to work a bit better

chevZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW
for those driving an sv6 or calais with the 5 speed box, using the power mode has a more noticable change as it ups the line pressure for a firmer quicker shift, also activates a perfomance mode as pointed out earlier by torana 355, it holds gears longer and doesnt shift up etc under agrresive driving, like on a windy road for better engine braking, but in the old 4 spds, it just changes the shift points

Right on the money,

If you have anything before a VZ and have a PWR button, you are only changing shift patterns, so your car will shift at a few more hundred revs than normal, which in theory is still great for towing and a little performance, so use it to your hearts content you arn't going to destroy your box and your fuel economy will be pretty much the same if your right foot pattern is the same (not thrashing it)

The misconception that your PWR button will use more fuel is because it just so happens that as most people push that button, they tend to drive a lot more aggressive.. which obviously will result in fuel economy differences..

In VZ SV6 / VZ Calais (not to be confused with VY models as the whole throttle setup changed in these models) The PWR button actually does a lot more, if you take both a VY S pack and a VZ SV6 for a test drive for example, you will notice..

In the VZ it will hold the gear from upshift to downshift, in other words - whereas in a VS/VT/VX/VY etc it will only upshift higher in the rev range under acceleration, in a VZ it will actually do this AS WELL AS not upshift under slowing down, for example if you push PWR in a VZ and go flat out then drop the throttle completely the whole car will sit in third or 2nd gear respectively and bog down, ready for launch at the slightest throttle touch.. Great for 'having fun' ;) and also great for towing.. whereas a VY won't, it will still shift the same on throttle release.. Theres also a few other performance tweaks that happen with the gearbox in the VZ, whereas anything before hand was not designed to make it go faster, just to make it tow better.

If you've seen a VZ sv6/calais before and someone who's 'having fun' with the throttle you'll see it's very easy to bunny hop in a VZ (the art of jumping off the throttle at high revs to make the ass end of the car literally bounce off the road - looks very cool from the outside :p) because of the downshift performance pattern.

RIPFPV

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
with power on you should notice better cornering and control as the gears take allot of the hassel out of brake control leaving you more open to more options when tackling corners and will improve fuel consumption through holding gears longer and alleviating constant gear changes and labouring;)