Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais [Black Edition]

S

StealthCalais

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Got some more LED foglights on the way courtesy of eBay, as the current ones looks terrible because they have some blown LED's from moisture I suspect.

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of set-up I'd need to lower her down just a bit, nothing illegal but enough to make it ride lower and sit a little flatter. Also - is it possible to buy a spring shock combo that wont compromise the ride quality?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Got some more LED foglights on the way courtesy of eBay, as the current ones looks terrible because they have some blown LED's from moisture I suspect.

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of set-up I'd need to lower her down just a bit, nothing illegal but enough to make it ride lower and sit a little flatter. Also - is it possible to buy a spring shock combo that wont compromise the ride quality?

I had SuperLow King springs and monroe shocks in before the ultra lows. And ride comfort was terrible. I didn't mind, i like the harsher feeling. But with the super lows, the Kings are "extra heavy duty" meaning there rock hard. So you definately feel every bump. However, for handling its nice with the firm ride. I found the monroe shocks to be nice tho. They feel the same as the stock ones but they dont allow the car to roll. So it sits a lot flatter through corners and in general on the road. I have Ultra lows in now, with non-heavy duty up front, and heavy duty at the back, again as per Kings catalogue recomendation. But the non-heavy duties up front are a lot softer, and they feel a lot better on bumps. The car doesnt handle any different with the softer springs up front either. Only issue is Ultra Lows bring the car down a fair amount, and it doesn't sound like you want it that low. I measured from the lowest point under the car with the ultra lows up front, and its 9cm from the stock cat positions. With a full car load it takes some clever driving to avoid scraping the cats along everything. But if you like the softer ride, then lowering might not be such a good option for you. Hope that helps, no one seemed to able to give me any answers when i was doing my suspension, so i figure i'll let you know everything i've learnt so you don't have to go through changing springs all the time like i did.

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6
So you can get 'heavy duty' and 'non-heavy duty' low and super lows from king springs? I can't find anything in their catalogue to distinguish one from the other (by part number) or are you referring to 'progressive rate design' as 'non-heavy duty'? Almost all of their springs for commodores are progressive rate design in their latest catalogue.

toranaBob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais/LX Torana
I am interested in doing the HID/LED DRL conversion as you have done... looks sweeet as mate.. Well done :)

Is there a current HID kit on ebay that is like yours? The quality of your lights looks unreal.

Which LED DRL's and LED fog lights did you go with? Do you have any photo's of the install?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
So you can get 'heavy duty' and 'non-heavy duty' low and super lows from king springs? I can't find anything in their catalogue to distinguish one from the other (by part number) or are you referring to 'progressive rate design' as 'non-heavy duty'? Almost all of their springs for commodores are progressive rate design in their latest catalogue.

Sorry if what i said wasn't clear, on the catalogue, there are two heights you can choose, being SuperLow (30-40mm lower than standard) or Ultra Low (50-60mm lower than standard). The first option SuperLow, as per the Kings Catalogue for a 3-4cm drop, the parts are KHFL-47HD and KHRL-46HD which HD being 'Heavy Duty' and thus a very firm spring. The next option down for a 5-6cm drop is UltraLow, part numbers being KHFL47SL (no HD in the part name, thus these springs are not 'heavy duty'.) and for the rear KHRL-46SLHD (which are 'Heavy Duty'). Kings doesnt use Low as a name anymore, theres only SuperLow and UltraLow as per the catalogue. What Kings told me when i changed from SuperLows to UltraLows was that the HD in the party number refers to the spring being "extra heavy duty" and the normal springs without the HD are still heavy duty, just not as heavy duty. Even though the part numbers have SL in them, they effectively lower a VZ to an "ultra low stance". And yes you're right, all the springs are progressive rate design. I hope this makes more sense.

S

StealthCalais

showxpony - thanks for all your info on the springs! Think I'm going to give them a miss for now, I've decided I'd rather keep some ride quality for now.

Here's some photos I took the other weekend! I really need to get the car booked in for some darker tint soon! Its bugging me...

021.jpg

035.jpg

028.jpg

025.jpg

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Your car is looking fantastic. I have just bought some LEDs from ezihid.com and installed under the headlights also. They look awesome. What colour temp HID's do you have. I have a set of 35w 6000k on order from same place I got my LED's.

Love everything about your car. The VZ Calais' are just such a nice looking car.

My Car;

6xvqc2.jpg
w7iscj.jpg

21enggg.jpg
k3lvkw.jpg

S

StealthCalais

Cheers fishman & holdenonn. Yeah its turning out quite nicely, as are your cars! I just need to get that tint!! Saw silver and white calais' the other week they look great.

My HID's are 6000K but they are 55W or 50W cant recall. Not sure how much difference if any the increased wattage makes, might just be a tad brighter?