Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais [Black Edition]

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
What's involved in changing the interior lights over? The result looks good. Where you get the replacements and what type are they (T10, etc?)

S

StealthCalais

ide go the black ones man there hella cheap and look good i was actually looking at getting a set for my caprice but went for the sigs kinda wish i went with the black 20's but now, my mate had a black vy with black 20's and chrome lip it looked awesome if you want to see a pic to give you a little bit of an idea let me know

Yeah if you could track down that pic thatd be great! Im just very concerned I'll get the wrong ones... but i know the black with chrome lip would look sweet.

S

StealthCalais

What's involved in changing the interior lights over? The result looks good. Where you get the replacements and what type are they (T10, etc?)

i Would love to know tooo this is sweeet as!! i love it!

Ok overall, very straightforward to do! I got them all off the one ebay seller I can provide links if need be.

All you have to do is pretty much swap the old for the new! As the LED's are mounted in the 'festoon' bulb ends. So no rewiring or anything required!

Only one youll have an issue with is the map lights, they are a different bulb all together no idea what sort. But I got some T10 superbrights and soldered them on to the old bulb. Also, the 36mm I got were only just too small for the existing sockets, so all you have to do is grab some pliers and bend the steel/copper/etc holders a tiny bit to make sure they stay put!

36mm Festoon (I needed 8 of these not sure about other model variants)
1pc Festoon Dome 36mm High Power LED (Xenon White) Bulb - eBay LED, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Jun-09 22:07:21 AEST)

T10 (I got 2 packs/4 bulbs - 2 for footwells, 2 for map lights but i had to resolder)
2pcs T10 168 194 High Power LED (HID White) Wedge Bulb - eBay LED, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Jun-09 18:43:10 AEST)

42mm Festoon
2pcs T10 168 194 High Power LED (HID White) Wedge Bulb - eBay LED, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Jun-09 18:43:10 AEST)

as an alternative...
Could try this for the map lights as I think its the same connection/base as the one si found in the map lights. Not sure though. Looks very similar.
2pcs BA9S T4W Flank High Power LED (Xenon White) Bulbs - eBay Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Vehicle Parts Accessories. (end time 23-Jun-09 01:45:39 AEST)

All up cost me about $80 or $90 incl. shipping and about an hour or so fiddling around putting them in! Good little mod to do, the results are well worth it!! Looks alot more ... european one might say!

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004

Your interior Lights look awesome. Well done on the change.

I would like to know what the interior light types are also.

A full list of globe types would be great for a VZ Calais eg t10, festoon, w5w etc;

If anyone knows for certain, can you fill in the blanks and add anymore interior lights that you know about that can be changed.

Interior map lights where sunglass holder is =

Rear roof interior lights above back doors =

Lower lights on all 4 interior door trims =

Mirror lights surrounding mirrors on both sunvisors =

Boot interior light =

Glove box interior light =

Light in centre console compartment under armrest =

Footwell compartment lights =

etc

S

StealthCalais

HoldenOnn here you go, ill colour code the different ones.

Interior map lights where sunglass holder is = I think... T4W Superbright LED

Rear roof interior lights above back doors = 36mm Superbright LED Festoon

Lower lights on all 4 interior door trims = 36mm Superbright LED Festoon

Mirror lights surrounding mirrors on both sunvisors = Oh dear completely forgot those!

Boot interior light = 42mm Superbright LED Festoon

Glove box interior light = 36mm Superbright LED Festoon

Light in centre console compartment under armrest = 36mm Superbright LED Festoon

Footwell compartment lights = T10 Superbright LED

You could try 39mm... though this could be too big for the housings, the 36mm worked fine for me.. just had to tweak the clips a tad.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
StealthCalais Thanks heaps for that. Just another question as you have played around with the globes, and I haven't yet as I have only had my Calais for a couple of months, but do you know the proper name of the globe sizes in normal incandescent type. I know some of them are weird or different type such as the main map lights on sunglass holder as they seem to look like a torch battery.

Reason being is I am thinking of trying the xenon filled globes which are supposed to be a little whiter but give 60% more light without being more voltage.

Could you do a list as above with the factory globe types? Or are the T4w, T10 etc the proper names to get? And Im guessing that replacing a festoon shouldn't have to require modifying the clips, so which size is factory if you know.

Thanks heaps

VZ SS :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
Heaps nice car mate, was looking at getting one of these myself. got a SS instead tho.

Big fan of the wheels aswell not the same as every1 else on the road.

How much were the lights in total??

VZ SS :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
**the wheels on the 1st page i was talkin bout

S

StealthCalais

StealthCalais Thanks heaps for that. Just another question as you have played around with the globes, and I haven't yet as I have only had my Calais for a couple of months, but do you know the proper name of the globe sizes in normal incandescent type. I know some of them are weird or different type such as the main map lights on sunglass holder as they seem to look like a torch battery.

Reason being is I am thinking of trying the xenon filled globes which are supposed to be a little whiter but give 60% more light without being more voltage.

Could you do a list as above with the factory globe types? Or are the T4w, T10 etc the proper names to get? And Im guessing that replacing a festoon shouldn't have to require modifying the clips, so which size is factory if you know.

Thanks heaps

No you dont have to modify a thing, the only i did was bend them a little cause they were slightly smaller than i anticipated.

Ah true, well from my understanding... these are the proper factory names i think. They dont change the actual fittings, they just put an LED in between to keep it all functional! Means less work for us!

36mm Festoons (x8 doors, glovebox, centre console box, rear roof lights)
42mm Festoon (x1 boot)
T4W (x2 for map lights)
T10 (x2 for footwells)

Heaps nice car mate, was looking at getting one of these myself. got a SS instead tho.

Big fan of the wheels aswell not the same as every1 else on the road.

How much were the lights in total??

Hey thanks! Yeah I checked out an SS or two i have to say! They are pretty schmick cars, would love some V8 grunt. But maybe in the future, im fairly happy with the 190 atm! Which wheels sorry? The matte black ones with the silver pentagon things?

Well... inside lights were arouund 80-90 bucks in total.

Outside lights were probably close to $400-450 all up

Hahaha adds up now i look back, Seriously worth it though!!