Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2nd hand ECU fit straight in or need PIM to match up?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I did something similar recently, and got the VIN with the ECU, BCM, TCM, PIM etc and then did a vehicle check that showed that the vehicle was written off. With that in hand Holden's was happy to provide a printout of ALL the vehicle trace data with all the security codes, key codes etc.

So if you go back to the wreckers and get or actually pull a BCM from a vehicle, get the VIN and print out a vehicle check that shows the car is written off, and go to Holden's and you should be sweet.

captaindrewski

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ss hsv enhanced
bit of a thread dig but is there any reason why you cant get a full set of computers - I was quoted $300 for ECU PIM BCU and key fob delivered from an identical spec car that has been in a frontal? would i need to do the reset and recode still or seeing as they are the three linked computers it should be plug and play. as 99notout mentioned you can get the codes from holden i do have access to snap on Solus scanner and can probably get hold of tech2 but maybe this would be an easier/ cheaper way still?

Last edited:

snakebite729

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Senator & 2007 VZ Acclaim Wagon
I'd also like to revive this one as I have a VZ that needs an ECU replacement and have a question:

If I go with the kit that is available on ebay from commodorewreckingptyltd:

VZ ECU KIT Comes With PIM ECU BCM AND KEY Head 588MID | eBay

how do i get the key to work with my car? Do i need to install a new barrel as well? Or can I just transfer the end of my original key onto the head of the new one?

Also, the question captaindrewski asked above...do I still need to have it reset if i'm replacing the whole lot? Or can it just go straight in?

My other option is to buy just the ECU and have it recoded to suit my car with Tech2, but as far as I can tell, this would end up being more expensive.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I think this is still an issue for VZ owners and it would be good if we could come a bit closer to a definitive solution. I agree with the comment above that we should be able to use second hand components rather than pay what Holden dealers are charging. There is also another issue these days as my local Holden dealer is having a lot of trouble sourcing the part. My dealer wants $1400 to supply and fit a new ecu.

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
My understanding of this : you can use a used ecu, as long as it is reset before it is removed from the donor vehicle ..easier said then done with some wreakers I would say .

I am having this issue with my ecu at the moment and have just ordered a new ecu,bcm, Pim and key head.
I see no reason why this shouldn’t be plug and play, as these are all linked and logically they shouldn’t know they are in a different vehicle ..and can not find anywhere that anyone has reported it not working .
How ever I will get the vehicle details off the wreakers just in case I need any codes.
Will try and report back after I have exchanged them if I have any issues !

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
An update for anyone having this issue :
I have fitted the new (used from wreakers)ecu,bcm, Pim and key head.

The car starts and everything functions correctly.
However I have two issues :
Check drivetrain light & airbag lights are both on. I expect when I get this plugged in to a computer ,these faults will clear without issue.
The factory stereo is asking for the security code , so I’m thinking this will no longer work with the new computers .

So I am happy so far - it’s only cost me $280 in parts , including freight to New Zealand.
I will fit an othermarket stereo, which I was meaning to do anyway.
I will report back after I have the faults cleared - but so far looks like a cheap easy option for this ecu issue!

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
The airbag light will be an easy fix for anyone with a tech2 or similar, it's just setting the correct airbag configuration (number of bags), the stereo code can be obtained from any holden dealer if you go in with your VIN, not needed if you are changing the stereo. The Check Drive Train, could also just be a configuration as well, but without knowing the code(s) hard to say. Thanks for the follow up!

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
An update for anyone having this issue :
I have fitted the new (used from wreakers)ecu,bcm, Pim and key head.

The car starts and everything functions correctly.
However I have two issues :
Check drivetrain light & airbag lights are both on. I expect when I get this plugged in to a computer ,these faults will clear without issue.
The factory stereo is asking for the security code , so I’m thinking this will no longer work with the new computers .

So I am happy so far - it’s only cost me $280 in parts , including freight to New Zealand.
I will fit an othermarket stereo, which I was meaning to do anyway.
I will report back after I have the faults cleared - but so far looks like a cheap easy option for this ecu issue!

Hi mate, how did you end up with this issue? Was the ecu kit you bought really plug and play with all the matching components? Having the same issue with my vz and wanted to double check before I order the matching ecu kit off eBay

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hi mate, how did you end up with this issue? Was the ecu kit you bought really plug and play with all the matching components? Having the same issue with my vz and wanted to double check before I order the matching ecu kit off eBay

Hey mate . So far so good , fitted the computers and it runs. Still haven’t had time to get it plugged in to clear the codes so it’s still just sitting in the drive unfortunately.
I will take it in this week to have it checked and will report back

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I made sure the computers I got were out of a 190kw v6, the numbers on the ecu and bcm were not matching (but bcm’s were both MID) and the pim had a matching number if this helps