Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore 2nd hand ECU fit straight in or need PIM to match up?

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
I made sure the computers I got were out of a 190kw v6, the numbers on the ecu and bcm were not matching (but bcm’s were both MID) and the pim had a matching number if this helps
Ok no probs, I've found some complete sets with key fob also that are all matching numbers (ecu,bcm,pim) but they are from a sedan and my car is a wagon, do you think this would be a big deal?
Ive been looking for a while and can't seem to find any sets numbers matching for a wagon. The rest matches ie, 175kw v6, just that they are from a sedan not a wagon

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I can’t see why not ? From memory the utes are different , but I don’t recall reading there was any problems with wagons

Scottb090

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Final update on this one. Finally got time to take it in to a mechanic to clear the codes ..all cleared out fine so no issues now ! So I can confirm that this technique works and is a cheap and easy way around this issue

tonganinja87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz turbo
i
Final update on this one. Finally got time to take it in to a mechanic to clear the codes ..all cleared out fine so no issues now ! So I can confirm that this technique works and is a cheap and easy way around this issue

i read your post & did the same... everything works & the car starts no problems lol. cost me $200 for the 2nd hand kit & the guy showed me where everything goes and i did it no problems.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Just to confirm of any looking to install a 2nd hand ecu, you can definitely do an ecu reset on the replacement ecu in your own car,(don't have to worry if not reset before hand).
You will need the the 4 digit security code for you original ecu, and the one for your replacement ecu (that matched the vin of the car it came out of), and a tech 2 diagnostic tool, or similar tool.
Before you remove your original ecu, make sure do an ecu reset, to unlink ecu from the pim.
Install replacement ecu, (don't start the car), and do a ecu reset with security code for replacement ecu.
Then do a ecu link to pim, using your original security code, and you should have success at swapping the ecu.

Chrisrox

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais
Just for reference sake it is possible to use 2nd hand ecu with no details from donor car just need someone who knows what they are doing and has a good computer. A Guy near brisbane has done it last weekend for one of my customers cost around $280 for him to come out and program it

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
He will be on a good money spinner, if he work around the not having the security code.
Maybe he is reflashing the ecu, to get around it.