Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ex police door switch

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
First of all, I have a VZ commodore ex-police executive which has had the doors isolated from the interior light, alarm etc. At present if I set the alarm with the window down and un-lock, then open the door manually, the alarm does not sound and the interior light does not come on. If I open the boot or bonnet the alarm sounds.

I have been told that there is a switch in the driver’s door to enable this back to standard which will allow the interior light and alarm to function from opening the door. Is this the standard interior light switch inside the door or is there some other of wiring/switch which I will need to re-connect?

Does anyone know roughly which service hole I can find the switch/wiring?

The reason for asking its location is I have the doors covered with Dynamat sound Deadening and do not want to have to take the whole sheet off to find its location.

Thanks for your help.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
what about the switch in the dash for the light cancel, does that operate correctly?

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
what about the switch in the dash for the light cancel, does that operate correctly?

Thanks for your reply andyman,

The interior light switch in the center console works fine but has no effect on the operation of the interior light when the door is opened.
The interior light will not come on when opening the door whether the light cancel switch in on/off. The standard interior light works fine when turning it on from the interior light switch on the roof.

The door switch does not triger the circuit for an open door, this also means the settings for automatically turning off the light when closing the door or keeping accessories on until the door is open also do not work (including the door alarm). I have heard somewhere that their is a cable disconnected or a switch which needs to be re-activated inside the door in the police cars? Has anyone heard of this?

Last edited:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
from what your saying it sounds like your door switch is dud, with the door open play around with the switch and see if lights turn on or the radio turns off etc with the accessory control

also swap a switch from a passenger door to see if it fixes it,

the switch is near either the hinges or latch, i cant remember, i think it has 1 phillips head screw

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
ive never heard of that, especially in VZ's.

Because ...

if a cop wants the interior lights off when they open the door they can use the roof mounted switch, or the blackout switch on the center console.

plus I dont believe the alarms are played with, especially not go activate when its supposed too.

Sounds like a suss door switch as Andy said. Perhaps switch it with the passenger door and see what happens. It would be possible for it to be stuffed with the constant opening/closing of the drivers door for the life of the car.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like a suss door switch as Andy said. Perhaps switch it with the passenger door and see what happens. It would be possible for it to be stuffed with the constant opening/closing of the drivers door for the life of the car.

door switches stuffing up is a known thing to break, but not really common

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
Thanks for your advice, ill give it a go swapping the door switch and work from there.

I just have one question, is the drivers door the master i.e. if the drivers door switch is dead does this mean that the passenger doors will also stop functioning because at the moment none of the door switches appear to trigger the interior light?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
shouldnt do, perhaps there is a killswitch or something?

I assume youve got the roof console switch set to the middle setting so interior lights come on with door open and the blackout switch (if fitted) isnt switched "on"

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
shouldnt do, perhaps there is a killswitch or something?

I assume youve got the roof console switch set to the middle setting so interior lights come on with door open and the blackout switch (if fitted) isnt switched "on"

Yeah mate that setting is on, I might give a dealer a call just in case its something local to SA Police cars.
If its a fualt they may even fix it under warranty?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
possibly, I'd give them a call and suss it out. I'm curious to know too!