Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 adventra off road tyres

Addylx8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Adventra LX8
I'm also interested in looking at a lift kit and a more aggressive tyre for light off roading. I heard that the king springs available raise it another 25-30mm but the brake lines will be too short? is that true? ideally a lift and a couple of coopers on some steel rims would be great.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17
brake lines are long enough the travell doesnt increase, just sitting height, unless you put raised struts aswell. stuff cooper,( all name and only pecentage warrenty, good tyres but not needed)get some snow tyres with 16inch steelies or tuff mags that are at least 7.5 inch wide

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Yes this is true Brake lines remain the same in length. But due to the numberof live axles in the drive line things change when the lift is achieved thats why king springs only get 25mm extra in height, so thats quite abit of dollars to spend to get the extra height of 1 match stick........ I was hoping to get a 2" lift , but got laughed out the workshop as every bugger was too scared to do it. So now I am awaiting for the existing tyres to wear down before i go out and get the 25mm lift and 4 new coopers and a bash plate and then go form there......

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17
25mm(1 inch) from lovell springs(there made in australia and not china as most king springs are now)leagly go 15mm higher with tyre, makes 40mm can get ruber spacer blocks and get another 15mm but then cv,s are gunna be at limit with a littl to much strain on them. with recearch i see it to be fine as this car is not a bush basher. take it slow and use traction controll. it works pretty good in mud and sand. dependent on tyres.

Maxxis - Product Search Results

can get away with these without atracting attention from unwanted flashing lights.
i got some cheap tyres that out proform the turanza standard from st george tyres in sydney not to long ago while on holidays

lexan sx7 225/55/17 tires-easy.com - Details: Lexani LX-SEVEN 225/55 ZR17 101W

got them on ebay for 85 au ea.(piked them up because i was drivint to south nsw) they will post reasonbly cheep too. i used them alot on way home dodging roos, going bush and keeping traction in the rain. (really good in wet weather)
101 weight better wear rate, cheaper too. have done 5500 klm hyway non stop with no probs. kept alot of air in them and they all look brand new still.
i have driver on some verry steep hills with lots of ruts to cross over and altho it did bottm out. by holding the revs still it slowed then crawled and scraped throuh. there would have been trouble if it stopped as it was verry steep and windey. also went thru some sandy motorbike tracks and not even thinking about getting stuk. squeezing throught the trees, going over some jumps slowley, and riding the burn on others. and on road tyres it does good. so cant wait for the maxxis tyres on it.
so unless you need to get up and flog it to get through the 4x4 tracks, a bit of height and some good tyres is all nedded. not a big job. i got the addy with sloppy suspention so its not extra expence its the same price for standard springs(close enough)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you want good offroad traction in sand then normal road tyres are the best.

It's all about pressures and increasing the footprint.

From memory around 12psi is a good pressure for sand, just avoid aggressive turning as it can peel the tyre off the rim.

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
is there any one out there with some real tyres to help the adventra get grip. i know its not a full 4x4 but its lacking on traction with road tyres. i have fitted 16 inch rims and trying to get more tread less mag, with decent tread while staying around the same size ( ok for a littl bigger)
so far i think 235/60/16 will fit(havnt fitted yet, but sized them up and look ok. cheers

This is what my tyre bloke said , so pirelli scorpions it is.

No worries Tim, I have rung Holden and they say that it will be good to fit that size and they also said that if you want they are able to reset the computer and speedo to allow for them larger rolling diameter.

I would like to have a quick look at it before i order the tyres though so if you could get your other half to drop it in for two minutes then that would be good.
Haha nah no showy writing.
Nitrogen is defiantly worth it. The whole point of it is that it keeps the tyre pressures even and does not leak out like normal air, so when you come in for your rotates we will check the pressures then... you don’t need to touch them.
Pirrelli Scorpion STR in 235/55R17 overnight for $425 each fitted ( NZ$)

Cheers:driving:

quigebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX8 VY11 Adventra
Dont do it Tim!!

Ive been through a set of perelli's and they drove great and were good off-road.. unfortunatley they've worn very quick even with rotating, and there a directional tyre so not as easy to swap around.. i blew a tyre off road and just put it down to my actions but yesterday i blew another front(always on the front tyre on sidewall) on a carpark kerb straight thru the sidewall on just a kerb.. at nearly $400 each im not impressed.. put my bridgestone crap stockies on till i decide what to do as every time you blow a tyre you really have to buy 2 or even 4 to keep them even.. so any other ideas.. just a note my stockies are nearly bald and i treated them the same for there whole life without a puncture??

This is what my tyre bloke said , so pirelli scorpions it is.

No worries Tim, I have rung Holden and they say that it will be good to fit that size and they also said that if you want they are able to reset the computer and speedo to allow for them larger rolling diameter.

I would like to have a quick look at it before i order the tyres though so if you could get your other half to drop it in for two minutes then that would be good.
Haha nah no showy writing.
Nitrogen is defiantly worth it. The whole point of it is that it keeps the tyre pressures even and does not leak out like normal air, so when you come in for your rotates we will check the pressures then... you don’t need to touch them.
Pirrelli Scorpion STR in 235/55R17 overnight for $425 each fitted ( NZ$)

Cheers:driving:

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Dont do it Tim!!

Ive been through a set of perelli's and they drove great and were good off-road.. unfortunatley they've worn very quick even with rotating, and there a directional tyre so not as easy to swap around.. i blew a tyre off road and just put it down to my actions but yesterday i blew another front(always on the front tyre on sidewall) on a carpark kerb straight thru the sidewall on just a kerb.. at nearly $400 each im not impressed.. put my bridgestone crap stockies on till i decide what to do as every time you blow a tyre you really have to buy 2 or even 4 to keep them even.. so any other ideas.. just a note my stockies are nearly bald and i treated them the same for there whole life without a puncture??

Ans this is why we have forums people, so like minded individuals can talk about such topics with out having to go thru the pain of making **** decisions.
Cheers for the advice, Back to the drawing board.......:computer::computer:

quigebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX8 VY11 Adventra
Yeah forums are handy Tim.. I'm also running the lovells springs which end up same height as stock after settling in.. There slightly harder and a few mm higher but hardly any difference.. Also got rid of self leveling suspension and run good shocks with polyair bags in rear, 100% improvement over air shocks and new kyb struts up front.. I'm running LPG injection in mine(5.7).. Also have been running 18" vy monaro rims with 235/50 pirellis and they chewed out too:( didn't rub tho and that size fitted easy with no rubbing.. looked great but i want more sidewall again, ive got some offroading this year.. I'll definitely be running that rotational size, maybe 225/60/17??

Last edited:

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Yeah forums are handy Tim.. I'm also running the lovells springs which end up same height as stock after settling in.. There slightly harder and a few mm higher but hardly any difference.. Also got rid of self leveling suspension and run good shocks with polyair bags in rear, 100% improvement over air shocks and new kyb struts up front.. I'm running LPG injection in mine(5.7).. Also have been running 18" vy monaro rims with 235/50 pirellis and they chewed out too:( didn't rub tho and that size fitted easy with no rubbing.. looked great but i want more sidewall again, ive got some offroading this year.. I'll definitely be running that rotational size, maybe 225/60/17??

Cheers Quigebo,
I am now the owner of a complete set of KYB struts and shocks for the rear and a new set of Lifted King Springs to suit ($1197 NZ) Installed for $200(NZ). Total Height gained 40mm.:wax: