Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 adventra off road tyres

relaxed_diplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra
I have seen 235/60R17 (road tyres) fitted to the standard rims on an AWD crewman, with seemingly no other mods. There was still some extra room between the tyre and bottom of the front coil mount.

I have also driven an adventra with the Kings raised coils. Unladen it was hard, and droop travel may be limited. Suspension flex would also be compromised, reducing offroad traction. Unless heavy loading is done i would lift the car other ways.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra Jacked up 2 inch plus on 225/60/17
after 5 hours i finally got the rear springs out and fitted the new Dobinsons springs giving me much more than 20mm as stated when bought. i have near 300mm from the lowest part of the bumper right in front of the front wheel and a bit over 300mm at the lowest part of the rear bumper just behind the tyre. measurements before were 245mm front /250mm rear
seems to be to much, but both measured before and after with car not moving. the real trouble was getting the rear springs out and compressed enough (had to take sway bar link off and lower shock tower, then get a mate to stand on the brake rotor and heave down while i pulled them out) and leaving room for the spring compressors to fit. all done with big spanner as there is not enough space for ratchet/rattle gun. and i even had to cut one of my spring compressors down as the thread was way to long.
to make it easier i then put the spring in a press to take compressors as there on the ground now and hard to get off. this worked for setting the springs up to go in too.(so easy to compress under a press.
just be real careful i had one compressor break and then the spring went flying taking out a half full wheelie bin and landing next door. this gave me a spring with one compressor on it and bent like a banana and now no way to unscrew it. so i risked my life again and compressed it under press as much as possible and leaning around the wheelie bins i got a grinder and cut it out. this made it go over the road when it sprung out of press. making a difficult job dangerous is one thing. but these rear springs are so small and stiff as with no room to use compressors.
fronts are the same as any old holden but it took a rattle gun to get them down to 290mm before i could get out and in. the new ones took longer as they are stiffer again. 2.5 hours slow time doing both.
now i can fit biger tyres. i have 40mm between the front tyre and the lowest part of strut tower and 55mm between the front of the front tyre and the wheel arch.(this may hinder when turning with biggr tyres)
but then only 40mm on the rear between the front of the rear tyre and the wheel arch.
later this year i will upgrade tyres and get the best bang for the buck. will post when fitted. i think 235/70/26 will fit maybe only 225/70/16 but when i can get some shitty ones to dummy fit on my rims its all guess work for any over 215/65/16....
over all if you are going to fit your springs get help on the rear they were a bastard..

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 CV8Z Monaro; 2005 Adventra LX8; 1955 FJ Holde
after 5 hours i finally got the rear springs out and fitted the new Dobinsons springs giving me much more than 20mm as stated when bought. i have near 300mm from the lowest part of the bumper right in front of the front wheel and a bit over 300mm at the lowest part of the rear bumper just behind the tyre. measurements before were 245mm front /250mm rear
seems to be to much, but both measured before and after with car not moving. the real trouble was getting the rear springs out and compressed enough (had to take sway bar link off and lower shock tower, then get a mate to stand on the brake rotor and heave down while i pulled them out) and leaving room for the spring compressors to fit. all done with big spanner as there is not enough space for ratchet/rattle gun. and i even had to cut one of my spring compressors down as the thread was way to long.
to make it easier i then put the spring in a press to take compressors as there on the ground now and hard to get off. this worked for setting the springs up to go in too.(so easy to compress under a press.
just be real careful i had one compressor break and then the spring went flying taking out a half full wheelie bin and landing next door. this gave me a spring with one compressor on it and bent like a banana and now no way to unscrew it. so i risked my life again and compressed it under press as much as possible and leaning around the wheelie bins i got a grinder and cut it out. this made it go over the road when it sprung out of press. making a difficult job dangerous is one thing. but these rear springs are so small and stiff as with no room to use compressors.
fronts are the same as any old holden but it took a rattle gun to get them down to 290mm before i could get out and in. the new ones took longer as they are stiffer again. 2.5 hours slow time doing both.
now i can fit biger tyres. i have 40mm between the front tyre and the lowest part of strut tower and 55mm between the front of the front tyre and the wheel arch.(this may hinder when turning with biggr tyres)
but then only 40mm on the rear between the front of the rear tyre and the wheel arch.
later this year i will upgrade tyres and get the best bang for the buck. will post when fitted. i think 235/70/26 will fit maybe only 225/70/16 but when i can get some shitty ones to dummy fit on my rims its all guess work for any over 215/65/16....
over all if you are going to fit your springs get help on the rear they were a bastard..

Thanks for posting this information, I look forward to the upgraded tyres in the future.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
i just saw a adventra with 235/60/17 Open Country A/T could tell if it was raised, but i doubt it as it didnt look as high as mine. here is some important info.
Stock Tyre - 225/55R17 Tyre 1 - 235/60R17 Tyre 2 - 225/70R16 Tyre 3 - 235/70R16
Rim Width Range: 6 - 8 in Rim Width Range: 6.5 - 9 in Rim Width Range: 6 - 7 in Rim Width Range: 6 - 7.5 in
Overall Diameter: 26.74 in 679.19 mm Overall Diameter: 28.10 in 713.74 mm Overall Diameter: 28.40 in 721.36 mm Overall Diameter: 28.95 in 735.33 mm
Sidewall Height: 4.87 in 123.69 mm Sidewall Height: 5.55 in 140.97 mm Sidewall Height: 6.20 in 157.48 mm Sidewall Height: 6.47 in 164.33 mm
Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h Speedometer1: 57.0 mph 95.1 km/h Speedometer2: 56.4 mph 94.1 km/h Speedometer3: 55.4 mph 92.3 km/h
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 4.84% Diameter Difference: 5.85% Diameter Difference: 7.64%
i think 225/70/16 will be the best as long as the Overall Diameter:721.36 mm doesn't scrub out...
time to get looking for some one with 225/70/16 i can borrow.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
well after trying to dodge a puppy running out on the road from nowhere. I ended up hitting the front left pretty hard on the gutter and ended up stuffing alot, so far replaced wheel bearing, steering rack and there are leaks to deal with now. strut boot spitting **** everywhere and seal from inner strut to drive shaft is leaking a fair bit, so its off the road and awaiting further repairs. tyres will be postponed and decided to tidy up and make appealing for sale. will still chase up the biggest chunky mid range tyres, but may not get to drive on them. as it may be just testing done no off road. At least the pup got to live another day without repairs. counting the dollars now as its not cheap to fix front ends of these Adventra,s

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
well after trying to dodge a puppy running out on the road from nowhere. I ended up hitting the front left pretty hard on the gutter and ended up stuffing alot, so far replaced wheel bearing, steering rack and there are leaks to deal with now. strut boot spitting **** everywhere and seal from inner strut to drive shaft is leaking a fair bit, so its off the road and awaiting further repairs. tyres will be postponed and decided to tidy up and make appealing for sale. will still chase up the biggest chunky mid range tyres, but may not get to drive on them. as it may be just testing done no off road. At least the pup got to live another day without repairs. counting the dollars now as its not cheap to fix front ends of these Adventra,s

that and reversing into a fence cost over 6k. destroid my other car and stuffed the fence. HAHA good times.
its all good now and ready for a trip over to the east.

I just scored a set of nissan x trail dunlop grandtrek ST only 225/60/17 but while i needed new tyres anyhow. i got the four new ones for $200 buks. just chasing a spare now. might have to buy a new one.

and at least i have a bit of extra traction and side wall to let down. next set will be bigger. just chasing a plackard from a captiva. think they run the right tyre to max it out

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
just slapped on Sumitomo tyres. 225/55 R17. 60k km warranty. $235 each.

gilign

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing new there

just slapped on Sumitomo tyres. 225/55 R17. 60k km warranty. $235 each.

need to upgrade the size. not just the brand. also of road tyres not street
i have 225/60/17 a/t tyres. but want more tread less mag. 16 inch fit and are an option for the car when new..

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
i agree if these turn out crap i will downsize rim.

Yeltrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra VZ LX6
Just bought an Adventra LX6 VZ and am looking at a lift kit and off-road tyres. What did you end up doing to yours and did it make a difference? Please give me some direction if you would.