Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Leaking coolant

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
radiator cap looks fine, i think the cap should be ok as the cooling was pressure tested last week when taken into the machanics,

its going in on monday morning, ill tell him to have a good look at the waterpump, anything else i should tell him?

thanks guys.

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
after having a close look under the hood earlier today, i have spotted coolant running marks (where it has dripped down) from the top frount of the engine, the cars going in early tomorrow,

what do you guys reckon it is?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
as mentioned earlier the water pump, but prove me wrong!

If its leaking from anywhere around #1 (or behind #5) on the attached image, then its running down the engine and pooling onto the sump which sits behind the harmonic balancer #2 on that attached image, like in your photo, then its the water pump, as #1 is the water pump housing and #5 is the water pump pulley.

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    water pump.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 9,888

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
looks like the waterpump could be the cause, but could it be leaking coolant upwards? as i can see runmarks down from the front of the engine :/

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
when mine let go it sprayed everything from the bonnet liner to the ABS pump

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Now this is really fu**ing with me now, got the car back last night after my merchanic replaced the water pump, im about to leave this morning and i let the car idle for about 5-10 minutes when i see it leaking again! It is once again coming from the frount of the engine and leaking onto the sump where it drips down to the ground...

I immediatly called my machanic and took the car down to his workshop,
We pressure tested it and coundnt find a leak anywhere, there was three of us inspecting all around the engine but nothing could be found, we started the engine and let it run for around 15-20 minutes with once again no leaks.

As it has leaked first thing in the mornings after sitting overnight, the car has been left with the machanic and hes gunna once again pressure test it once its completely cold later this evening.

Hes gunna give me a call once hes pressure tested it and he reckons it could be something under the top manifold And is running all the way down.

What do you guys reckon?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
sounds like it could be hoses or seals somewhere...i dunno if i mentioned on here before, but even your mechanic should know this..that you will most likely find your leaks with a cold engine..the rubber seals and hoses are hard and stiff and won't seal or fit to housings and the like aswell as it does when they're hot and soft.