Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Leaking coolant

CommiodoreVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Wagon
Folks, I have a similar problem with our 2 x VZ V6 3.6's, after considerable diagnosis I was able to locate the Inlet housing "o" rings are a common fault with all 3.6VZ's, this along with the serpentine belt has far to much tension on the water-pump from the tensioner, 34lbs is what kills the water-pump housing bearings.
buying the OEM water-pump replacement at least comes from Mexico, not China as does the original water-pump. The thermostat housing on the rear of the engine does cause headaches when trying to replace but do it cold and be careful when removing the intake Pleneum as you can rip the gasket, break it free while the engine is warm then let it cool off before reaching out back to replace, non OEM original thermostats are available 1/2 the price of genuine GMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Hey so old thread, but...
Just replaced the thermo, water pump and all gaskets, o-rings and seals, and all was working fine. I checked all worked areas after every drive till I was confident no problems. Until home from work this evening, and when I turned off the car, coolant came pouring out underneath. Opened the bonnet and it's coming from the heater valve(?). Had another good look around the engine, and it's definately the only leak.
Is this a serious problem? And any idea how to fix?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Last edited: