Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 water pump

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all my water pump needs changing I got a good deal on one so have decided to do it myself I have done a bit of research and seems pretty straight forward I just wanted to no your experience in doing this job any issues and also do I need to remove the plenum I no it would be easier but is it needed
Thanks in advance any help appreciated

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
hey mate is your w/p leaking from the seep hole? if not it probably doesnt need changing. if you are leaking coolant somewhere, check the 2 filler neck o-rings before as it could be them that you need to replace. I made the mistake of unecesarily changing the water pump when i was getting a leak from the 2 rubbers above it.
Anyway fitting the w/p is very simple. I bought mine off ebay for 30 bucks so i hope your 'good deal' was similar.
-take off belt
-take off pulley (4 nuts i think)
-take off water pump (6 bolts i think)
-clean off old gasket
-reverse.

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi mike
I payed a little more but it's genuine and comes with the orings for above it my radiator went the other day got a new one put in and they said it's gone when I picked it up and it does seem to be leaking and also the pully has a little movement I don't no if it's ment to

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Water pump should have no lateral movement on the pulley. Really straight forward replacement, about a 30-40 minute job! Replace the two O rings at the same time in my opinion, in fact the price for a complete filler neck isn't too bad and you get the new type radiator cap with it!

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
If you were just doing water pump, I would say leave manifold on and just remove air intake piping, but if doing the o-rings too think you need to remove it - or at least lift it a tad to get in to neck bolts.

Was going to recommend you change the o-rings above as well, so good that you got them.

I had the same thing with mine, radiator, water pump then o rings all in succession. Apparently pretty common for it all to start going once you replace a leaking one part of the system, the radiator might have had a slow leak for a while so when you replace that the other parts have aged and can't take the pressure anymore. Also doesn't hurt to replace the radiator cap every few years as has been known to cause a few issues when aged.

Make sure you get the correct coolant to refill and bleed it properly, plenty of threads on here about it. Think someone even posted the bleed procedure from manual if your not sure.

Goodluck and take your time!

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for the input guys couple more things do I need gasket goo or similar ? And do I torqe the bolts up if so what's the torque level ? And if I lift the plenum will I need another gasket normally I would replace everything so I don't have to do it again but I'm on a tight budget at the moment

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Mate, I do put a little blue silastic on a water pump gasket if it isn't OEM, the OEM one has a bead of rubber on a steel gasket and doesn't need it. I would just do the water pump and bleed the system properly and make sure you get nice hot and HARD hoses when it is up to operating pressure. That will be an indication if you still have an air lock or not. If you have no more leaks then don't worry about the inlet pipe O rings, if you seem to still have a leak running down near the water pump, then replace the O rings. You will have to lift the plenum, and not knowing if you still have paper gaskets or not, I would grab a set of gaskets and put new plugs in while you have it off. As for the torque on the water pump bolts, it is bugger all on those small 10mm bolts, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM, use a ¼ inch drive socket set. Good luck mate, it is a really easy job.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Take some pictures of how the fan belt goes so you can put it back the same way and for any other thing you are not sure of, the more the merrier.

I did my O rings without lifting the plenum off or even loosing any bolts, I did need to remove the throttle body and cleaned it while it was off, just undo top radiator hose and overflow hose, use a 1/4" drive socket set to get to the 2 bolts to remove top hose hosing, and when you go to remove it you think from memory I wiggled it forward (to radiator) and rotated it clockwise in a slow motion, it can be frustrating at first but when you find the right movements it falls out and back into place, before fitting new O rings just practice putting it back into place and it is easy, the O rings, cost me $45 trade for the 2 O rings so about $55-60 retail, there is a guy selling them on ebay.

Also when removing the water pump, there is a metal sandwich plate behind the water pump and the block, remember to remove it and replace it with the new one in the kit.

Make sure you clean all the surfaces and I used a thin smear of blue gasket silastic around the O rings and water pump gasket. I have uploaded some pixs to the link, The throttle body gasket was some ridiculous price like $60-70 and they had none in stock, so for about $2 bought some gasket paper and with a small ball pien hammer carefully tapped out a new one, and sprayed some carby spray cleaner into the body to remove carbon build up, and only took about 1 an 1/2 hours, and bleed radiator and becareful of the plastic screw in the top corner of the radiator not to tighten it to tight.

These pictures might help Water Pump Slideshow by Philmecrackun | Photobucket

Last edited:

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thx phill the photos look good I got the gasket together with the pump and o rings for $60 on eBay so a good deal I think :) hopefully all go well and easy job will let you no how I go and glad you said about the belt or there would be a lot of swearing in my garage tomorrow haha