Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Waiting At Lights

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
I always read that if you're car's gonna be idle for more than 60 seconds, you're better of switching the car off and then turning it back on, because it consumes less petrol.

Because I read the traffic lights at every intersection and don't just sit there like a clueless goose, I always turn my ignition off when I'm gonna be waiting for more than a minute, and then switch it back on a second before I'm meant to drive again.

Valid or Propesterous?
Good for the car or Bad?

I find, especially on hot days in traffic, it helps keep the temp gauge below half, have a few problems with my cooling system over its life. Fuel economy still stays in the 9.3-10.4 area.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Don't quote me on how accurate it is, but I thought it was the other way around. It saved you more petrol to let it idle for a certain amount of time instead of turning car off and on again.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Its stupid because your putting more stress on your battery and starter motor, also I fail to see how it would help with cooling in any way, the block would continue to get hotter/stay at the same temp when the car is turned off (it takes quite a long time for the block to cool down once its at operating temp), all you are doing is preventing the fan from coming on and giving airflow to the engine.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just like grennan said above but, the only way i can see it being better for the vehicle is if you stop right behind vehicles (not keeping a safe gap) and instead of letting the hot exhaust gases from their vehicle rising your fan sucks them up preventing your cooling system working properly.

This idea has been around since the days of carby's. It might be true for them, but it costs barely anything to let a vehicle idle these days.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
great way to wear out your starter motor , and if you had to move off in a hurry with the motor off you have little chance of doing so . you could try switching the ignition off when rolling down hill too to save fuel just dont engage the steering lock in doing so either as some people have done in the past and crashed the car on the next corner ..........

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
It actually does saves petrol but it's on like 4% or something like that?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
wanna save on petrol convert to LPG ...

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
You may save fuel with your method. However the money you save might be
lost by the premature wear you cause on the starting system.

On hot days (today!) there is no way I woud switch off my car due to the AC running.

If I know I am going to be sitting and idling for a long period I usually put the
car in neutral (auto), pull the handbrake and relax. This does save fuel.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Who cares about the wear and tear on parts, or the strain on anything.

I would be more worried about you would take an evasive action if someone didnt see you stopped. Its downright bloody dangerous switching your car off on any road, especially with how stupid some people are.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
idleing an engine for too long glazes the bore's.

just throwing it out their.