Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Waiting At Lights

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
I was told that the amount of fuel required to start an engine equates to approximately 5 minutes of idle time. I think 5 minutes is a bit long, but starting an engine does use quite a bit of fuel. Also, when you turn an engine off the water and coolant stops moving through the block, and warms to engine temperature, so the engine does heat up for a few minutes before it starts to cool.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Who cares about the wear and tear on parts, or the strain on anything.

I would be more worried about you would take an evasive action if someone didnt see you stopped. Its downright bloody dangerous switching your car off on any road, especially with how stupid some people are.

I dont stop on the middle of the road, or on the side of a street, only at traffic lights.
And if someone hit me at the lights, regardless if my car is on or not, its their fault.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
If I know I am going to be sitting and idling for a long period I usually put the
car in neutral (auto), pull the handbrake and relax. This does save fuel.

Yeah I use the handbrake too, but I was informed that this puts a similar strain in terms of wear onto the rear brake pads as opposed to just using the brakes, but in any case I still prefere the handbrake

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I dont stop on the middle of the road, or on the side of a street, only at traffic lights.
And if someone hit me at the lights, regardless if my car is on or not, its their fault.

Just a personal opinion here, but i'd much rather take evasive action to avoid being in a collision, than just sitting there and 'taking it'.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Not sure about turning off the car altogether but I've known people who drive manuals and put it into neutral when going down a steep hill. When I drove a manual I'd put it into neutral and let the clutch out when sitting at lights in order to not wear the clutch cable out.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

Umm, so your happy to have children in the backseat get slammed into and smashed around just because it wont be your fault?

Very logical...

Not sure about turning off the car altogether but I've known people who drive manuals and put it into neutral when going down a steep hill. When I drove a manual I'd put it into neutral and let the clutch out when sitting at lights in order to not wear the clutch cable out.

Dont most new cars have hydraulic clutches, thus pointless using neutral :p

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Umm, so your happy to have children in the backseat get slammed into and smashed around just because it wont be your fault?

Very logical...
He's talking about traffic lights, your sitting still with cars either side of you and in front and behind you.. You couldn't evade anything, even if it was coming straight at you... Maybe different story if your at the front or something but yeah.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
He's talking about traffic lights, your sitting still with cars either side of you and in front and behind you.. You couldn't evade anything, even if it was coming straight at you... Maybe different story if your at the front or something but yeah.

who said there were cars all around him? I'm rarely in that situations, theres always a turning lane either side....

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8

Very logical...

Well one I don't have kids, and I dont plan to.
And two, if I'm at a set of lights, and there's car's in-front, behind and around me, what evasive action can I take? I dont exactly drive a SmartForTwo which I can probably squeeze through gaps between cars.

I'm sorry I don't understand the logic you're trying to imply.