Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water in the oil vp v6

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Hi guys,just purchased a vp project with water in the oil.How do i fix such a problem considering the car runs sweet and what could it possibly be(i am a newby to cars as i have always had bikes)?I would appreciate help.

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
if there is water in the oil and the oil looks like milk then pop the radiator cap with the car running and if u see air bubbles then you have a blown headgasket ,

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
9/10 times its just inlet manifold gaskets but could possibly be head gaskets as madsav said

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Its just the water in the oil not in the radiator?????

vpVacotioner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP s2 3.8
yeh mine was the same till i replaced valley gasket (manifold gasket),its a bit of a job not to difficult ,took me a sunday to get it done ..

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
if the oil has a pink color to it then the radiators transmission cooler is cracked inside ...

but if just plain white milky then inlet manifold , headgasket ...

If you dont have funds try flushing the cooling system really well with garden hose ...

fill up radiator with engine running to get air out then go for a drive with the heater on and then let cool down and flush again .. get all the **** out .. then go to repco buy bottle CARGO stop leak its $9 a bottle and its copper/silicone ... and try a bottle or two and go for a good drive for like an hour and let car idle for a while till temp reaches halfway then let car cool down ..

leave this stuff in for a few days then drain water and let car sit for 12 hours with no water/coolant then after 12 hours add coolant etc ...

this stuff hates coolant so only add coolant after 12 hours of letting the system dry ... the stopleak stuff seals when it dries out.

change oil and see how you go .... this stuff will slow/stop a leak on inlet manifold and head gaskets ..but only do all this if you have no money to repair
as this is a temp fix to keep you on the road...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
for the cost of stop leak and the serious issues it can cause elsewhere blocking off cooling passages its just as easy to get the inlet manifold gasket kit its not like they are expensive or all that hard to fit.

VN Wagz

PshhhhHHT- **TuTuTuTu**
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6 Wagon
a stock VN-VR engine bay is easy to work with, and with a bit of forethought the inlet manifold can be off relatively quickly. Its when the heads have to come off though that it becomes a big job, as basically everything except for the water pump is removed.

However, its a small price to pay compared to the phenomenal amounts of cash you would fork out for such a job in labour alone. My heads were 220 to get refaced, including new ACL race series gaskets, so fairly cheap. The labour however, that would have been $600-$800 if i payed someone to do it.

Keep us informed how it goes mate :D

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
definatley better off fixing it properly its fairly easy and stop leak ad all those radiator additives are crap they just make your system worse by blocking things up

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Yeah,i am going to bite the bullet and fix the problems myself.The 2 mechanics i have seen have said head gasket or inlet manifold gasket (which yall told me about previously)but of course in thier opinion it would be better to fix them both leaving me with a bill of over $900.I will keep you all informed of how i do and if i need any more help i will ask if its cool. What books are the best to buy to fix holdens(repair manuals)?