Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird stalling problem.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi

try replacing fuel pump , bit extrem, but they can short out (connections to the pump)
stops the power to the fuel pump, no fuel, car stops and generally most times the car can start and run after a few minutes

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
hi

try replacing fuel pump , bit extrem, but they can short out (connections to the pump)
stops the power to the fuel pump, no fuel, car stops and generally most times the car can start and run after a few minutes
Thanks for the advice but the fuel pump was the first thing we changed to combat the problem.

I did a lot of wiring wiggling in the engine bay today but nothing made it stall. I guess I will check the wiring to the ECU next.

locky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec wagon
Anything "foreign' in tank itself. Saw a vl years ago (when new) with an intermittant stall that was caused by a disgruntled employee. Whenever sent to fill the bosses car up kept suffing paper down the filler tube with the petrol. Car would drive until paper blocked pickup, cutting off fuel supply, then floats back away when the fuel pump is turned off, allowing it to restart and run normally again until the next time. Has the car still got a filler door or is, as often seen, no door and only screw off cap? The car I saw this done to had gone to the holden dealers continuosly for its stalling and by the time it was found had allready had new computer, new fuel pump and anything else tried before hand (was finally picked up by looking in the tank with a torch, where the first thing we found was any amount of food wrapping, bags etc). Have never heard of another example of this but maybe someone with a strange sense of humor at some point.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anything "foreign' in tank itself. Saw a vl years ago (when new) with an intermittant stall that was caused by a disgruntled employee. Whenever sent to fill the bosses car up kept suffing paper down the filler tube with the petrol. Car would drive until paper blocked pickup, cutting off fuel supply, then floats back away when the fuel pump is turned off, allowing it to restart and run normally again until the next time. Has the car still got a filler door or is, as often seen, no door and only screw off cap? The car I saw this done to had gone to the holden dealers continuosly for its stalling and by the time it was found had allready had new computer, new fuel pump and anything else tried before hand (was finally picked up by looking in the tank with a torch, where the first thing we found was any amount of food wrapping, bags etc). Have never heard of another example of this but maybe someone with a strange sense of humor at some point.

Thanks for the suggestion but nothing foreign in the tank. When changing the fuel pump the tank needs to be removed and you can clearly see inside the tank.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
You say you tried the usual suspects but I would like to confirm that you've done plugs and leads, checked all your earth points with a multimeter while wiggling wires and tried swapping the DFI module with a known good unit?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
still no luck?,
try swapping the battery out
we had a HZ 20 years ago that only stalled on left hand turns
took 6 months to diagnose but ended up being a loose plate in the battery

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
After doing a lot of wire wiggling in the engine bay four days ago the car has not stalled since, whereas it was a daily event before that. So it appears we are on the right track but I don't know which wire was the culprit because the wires were either wrapped in tape of in the flexible conduit. If it re-occurs I will investigate more thoroughly.
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.