Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What deal did you get for your vf series 2????

JRS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
The majority of commodores sold are SV6's, at the same price as the average 40k SUV. Australians tastes in cars have changed, which we as a nation, are entitled to do. But the point remains that many people are now wringing their hands over the death of our car manufacturing, when those very same people had the opportunity to prevent it. I take your valid points on board however.

unfortunately there are some who buy the latest type of vehicle because its all the craze, especially when the SUV was the new thing everyone had to have. I thought the reasons why holden and ford didnt do well was because they didnt have an SUV product so people started buying from manufacturers who did, until holden and ford caught up to offer something in their SUV product range.In terms of car from korea ill own up and say i had one as a daily bought an excel in 98 brand new and got rid of it in when the gearbox went in 2014, thats 17 years and apart from nomal servicing and the usual things that can go wrong it never missed a beat or left me stranded on the side of a highway. I thought one of the other reasons people fell out of the holdens was because of the poor build quality in some of their range. As the saying goes if you like something 1 person will listen but if you tell how bad something is 100 people will listen.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Commodore and falcon were getting tastelessly modified more than other cars and many new car buyers didn't want to buy into the image, especially with HSV doing their own decepticon versions.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
It was a combination of things that led to it, and yes the government played a big part with their flawed policies and eventual lack of support.
As for Australians being stupid, I believe that 100%. Go to whirlpool forum for instance and you will see people gushing over Hyundais and Kias and talking about them like they are the greatest cars ever made and can do no wrong. Its downright scary.

Some aussies stupid yes, lol.. I've always loved my performance cars, but sometimes its about being able to get what is practical for their circumstances , my wife has a santa fe, and as much as i wasnt entirely comfortable purchasing it back in 2013, its actually been very good. Never thought i would say that...

Back onto the subject, My 2016 Manual SSVR ute, some like it hot red, $54000 drive away...others probably got better deals, but I'm happy...the way i look at it, its not a 2017, but being the colour it is, it kinda is one of the last....

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I got my last November
Wagon SS Redline
Metal Cargo barier
Mats
One year comprehensive insurance
$59500

Could have done a much better job negotiating if i wasn't too exited to buy it.

Now it has already 9000km on the clock. Last week i managed 13.584@169Km/h at Sydney Dragway (E10, competitive mode, S mode)

Martyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I think another minor factor in the demise of the commodore is the anti-bogan movement. It has become a feared label and any associated stereotype became a no go zone. Conversely, Euro sales are booming.

Also the change in government fleet purchase to more green vehicles in general. Our fleet of 2k has plenty of Hyundai but few Holden and zero commodore.

What kind of deals are people getting on MY16 SSVR?

MALUR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice & VE2 Omega
It was a combination of things that led to it, and yes the government played a big part with their flawed policies and eventual lack of support.
As for Australians being stupid, I believe that 100%. Go to whirlpool forum for instance and you will see people gushing over Hyundais and Kias and talking about them like they are the greatest cars ever made and can do no wrong. Its downright scary.

It's funny because I want to believe locally made is better than Korean, and it use to be, but honsestly kia and Hyundai are top quality now. We have a October 16 SSVR and a 2013 Rio. Rio has better air con, better blue tooth, more reliable I pod connectivity and I even think Rio doors shut nicer.
But of course the Redline sounds better, looks better, goes better and generates emotion.
End of day, for non enthusiasts, Korean stuff is great value and practicality,

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Commodore and falcon were getting tastelessly modified more than other cars and many new car buyers didn't want to buy into the image, especially with HSV doing their own decepticon versions.

Commodores have been tastelessly modified for the last 39yrs. That didn't stop it being the best selling car for over a decade.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some aussies stupid yes, lol.. I've always loved my performance cars, but sometimes its about being able to get what is practical for their circumstances , my wife has a santa fe, and as much as i wasnt entirely comfortable purchasing it back in 2013, its actually been very good. Never thought i would say that...

Back onto the subject, My 2016 Manual SSVR ute, some like it hot red, $54000 drive away...others probably got better deals, but I'm happy...the way i look at it, its not a 2017, but being the colour it is, it kinda is one of the last....

You're a perfect case study (and I agree the Santa Fe is a good car), but what made you buy that over a traditional commodore station wagon? And why would the Santa Fe be more practical?

Not giving you the third degree, but genuinely interested

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's funny because I want to believe locally made is better than Korean, and it use to be, but honsestly kia and Hyundai are top quality now. We have a October 16 SSVR and a 2013 Rio. Rio has better air con, better blue tooth, more reliable I pod connectivity and I even think Rio doors shut nicer.
But of course the Redline sounds better, looks better, goes better and generates emotion.
End of day, for non enthusiasts, Korean stuff is great value and practicality,

And also taking into consideration the fact that Hyundai and Kia both use local engineering to adapt the cars for Australian roads, leads to some very high quality cars as you've alluded too

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Abbott wanted to bust the unions as they're linked to the ALP. Royal Commission no less and dragged the former PM and the Leader of the Opposition on the stand.
Biggest unionised industry in Australia? You guessed it - automobiles.
Pretty simple, pull the subsidized funding and it all goes poof. By the way, car manufacturing all over the globe is subsdized, Germany, Japan, Korea, everywhere.
Don't forget you've got Toyota going too and they are making the most popular vehicles of any manufacturer- Camry is bread and butter for them alongside Carolla and HiLux.
As for SUV's, well Ford made one here too in the Territory. Diesel engine, petrol, snd a turbo V6 as fast as any.