Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Do you take sleeping tablets? What are your sleeping patterns like?

I think most of us can count our real true friends on two fingers.
Sad how true that is for a lot of us. All to do with the way we live in separate silos (houses) these days.
But seriously, two fingers? Surely four fingers and a thumb.........

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
today...???

basic!
engine oil and filter change on the HSV (Penrite + genuine filter)
and
gearbox... new fluid (Penrite Tremec stuff)

2 hours well spent I reckon ;)

ps... should add
all done lying on the back on the floor under the car (which HAS to be level for the gearbox refill)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Maintenance day for the lathe.
Drain the oil from the three gearboxes, and flush with diesel.
Headstock gearbox drain plug is in an awkward position. Need to swing the geartrain out of the way to access the drain plug.
The headstock gearbox holds the most oil, removing the drainplug usually results in oil pissing everywhere.
I had a cunning plan! Found a 3/8" BSP drain fitting and some leftover pneumatic hose.
There is a small port on the top cover, removed the screw, grabbed the shop vac and held the nozzle over the port.
Was able to remove the drain plug without losing any oil, screwed my drain line in and left it to drain.
20240307_165248.jpg

The feed gearbox doesn't hold a lot of oil, so just jammed a stainless steel baking dish between the lathe and the workbench.
The oil from the headstock was in great condition, the oil from the feed gearbox was more like treacle. Very similar to the oil in
the carriage gearbox. Flushed the boxes multiple time, with no sign of any metal in the oil or the diesel flush.

Time to refill. Bought a Tom Thumb pump and it worked really well, made it easy to fill the feed box and the carriage box.
Filled the headstock gearbox through the top cover, straight from the 20L oil container.
20240307_192354.jpg

The waste oil and 15L of diesel will be mixed together and used in the coolant/cutting fluid tanks in the lathe and the milling machine.
Next job is to dismantle my 'Set True' 3-jaw chuck. It has a tight spot when winding the jaws in and out.
Must be full of chips, so time to clean and regrease.

Future project, get rid of the chinese made motor and replace it with something of higher quality, with less vibration.
Even though the lathe has a 15-amp plug, the motor is only 2HP. I'll find a 3HP motor to replace it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Attacked the chuck today, had it on the bench but couldn't generate enough torque on the chuck key to wind the jaws out past the tight spot.
2024-03-09 15.51.24.jpg

Had to remount it on the spindle and screw the jaws in and out for nearly an hour before I could remove them. Must have been some chips on the scroll threads.
Jaws (finally) removed, and D1-4 backplate removed.
2024-03-09 16.40.39.jpg

Completely dismantled (a lot more parts than I thought) and full of chips and (too much) nasty gooey grease.

2024-03-09 17.10.06.jpg

Gave the lot a Kero bath and it came up a lot better.

2024-03-09 18.56.13.jpg

I left it at that stage, as before re-lubing every piece inside requires deburring. I think a lot of the chips inside were there from manufacturing.
I'll try and 'soften' all the edges and rubbing surfaces by running them over a wire wheel on the bench grinder. Hope it works, as there will be hours of work with files and stones.
Here's an example of chinese quality control. One pinion has been overcut, I'll leave a center punch mark on that one so I avoid using it when clamping down on a work piece.

2024-03-09 18.56.42.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
.... NOT in the shed today!
when i last walked out an hour ago to get an inspection mirror, the digi thermo meter inside the shed said 45°
and I agree! Feck it is hot out there:eek:

naaah... been working on secret project No.29 since the start of the year you see, buying computer bits.
I have always built my own PCs ... for home and garage use for the past dunno .... mebbee 30+ years
this mobo with that particular CPU, x amount of memory, video display card to suit
cupla Optical drives to shift CD/DVDs to another one and a nice set of EDIFIER speakers
Did keep the previous CyberPower UPS.. its a goodún!

and today, home inside... in the study in the cool and have just finished the meccano set of IT bits and
yes, it works (well I am typing this post on the new machine) . Just a grunty desktop that does everything
pretty much (no gaming but!)

Specs....?

1710131539184.png

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
when i last walked out an hour ago to get an inspection mirror, the digi thermo meter inside the shed said 45°

naaah... been working on secret project No.29 since the start of the year you see, buying computer bits.
I have always built my own PCs ... for home and garage use for the past dunno .... mebbee 30+ years
this mobo with that particular CPU, x amount of memory, video display card to suit
cupla Optical drives to shift CD/DVDs to another one and a nice set of EDIFIER speakers

and today, home inside... in the study in the cool and have just finished the meccano set of IT bits and
yes, it works (well I am typing this post on the new machine) . Just a grunty desktop that does everything

Specs....?

View attachment 265254
Bloody dislike there’s extreme heat when there’s things you want to get done around the house.
At work, it’s fine because it just has to get done regardless. However when at home you want to be comfortable and relaxed.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Specs....?

View attachment 265254

Love it. I built one very similar late last year with an i7-13600K and a GeForce RTX 4090. Bought Z790 UD AX for the claimed durability but I didn't love Gigabyte's renaming of everything Intel in their BIOS though. Made it difficult at times to know exactly where to apply the finer tweaks. Are you using water cooling or air?

Oh, a word of caution if you are running Windows 11 and you ever decide to update you motherboard BIOS. Many, many people (including myself) have had their legitimate Windows 11 licences invalidated when they've updated the BIOS on MSI & Gigabyte motherboards, as Windows sees it as a "Hardware change" (replacement motherboard). Microsoft blames the motherboard manufacterers, however they say it's Microsoft's problem.
This answers.microsoft.com thread has been going since June 2022 and has one answer from Eslam El Ghaied on Feb. 1st 2024 on page 22 that has proved helpful for some people.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mr 24 had issues with windows 11 crashing on a new build last week, some sort of driver conflict so ended starting with a clean install. Fairly sure he did bios updates both times and somehow used windows10 from his old PC, created a windows11 install USB online and used his old license.

He upgraded to a water cooled system but he's using a AMD CPU with a Gigabyte MB and I think Radeon graphics card.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Love it. I built one very similar late last year with an i7-13600K and a GeForce RTX 4090. Bought Z790 UD AX for the claimed durability but I didn't love Gigabyte's renaming of everything Intel in their BIOS though. Made it difficult at times to know exactly where to apply the finer tweaks. Are you using water cooling or air?

Oh, a word of caution if you are running Windows 11 and you ever decide to update you motherboard BIOS. Many, many people (including myself) have had their legitimate Windows 11 licences invalidated when they've updated the BIOS on MSI & Gigabyte motherboards, as Windows sees it as a "Hardware change" (replacement motherboard). Microsoft blames the motherboard manufacterers, however they say it's Microsoft's problem.
This answers.microsoft.com thread has been going since June 2022 and has one answer from Eslam El Ghaied on Feb. 1st 2024 on page 22 that has proved helpful for some people.

[/URL][/URL]
Air cooling on mine (DISLIKE water cooling) ... DEEPCOOL AK620 doing the duty as CPU cooler (see pic with status now)
Other cooling is the standard ANTEC case fan

It is keeping it under control with TWO fans.. as shown

1710226830258.png

and the BIOS update.. all sweet all done (up from F5 to F9) AFTER I had the thing running and stable but first
I load Win11 via USB (created with the old desktop via Microsoft Media creation process). No bite from Windows
.. maybe çoz I did the BIOS update via Gigabyte Control centre. I did have to activate it online but that was no issue

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
Well this weekend included..

Remove the wobbly harmonic balancer and replace with Powerbond unit
Replace all idlers/tensioners because - why not!
Replace both serpentine belts - noticed some small cracks in both belts

While carrying out the above, I noticed that both valve cover gaskets were leaking....note to self, don't use Calibre gaskets
Replaced both gaskets with Permaseal

....in the end, no more strange noises

Last edited: