Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Diff Ratio to get?

pumba

OMR346
Reaction score
Website
www.mh-performance.com
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
^^^ hahaha yea a mate of mine had a old V8 mercades benz and it had like 2.5 or something like that and 1st gear wound out to about 130km/h :D

if u want an eas way put of it, go hunt thru some wreckers for a R31 skyline or pintara diff... between the R31 skyline and pintara seies, they had 3.7:1, 3.9:1 and 4.11:1 diff gears... and there a borg warner 28 spline diff so they are a straight swap with a commodore diff...

BUT sus that out 1st seeing as u have IRS... im pretty sure there a hydra-trac diff which might be different... not sure though

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
^^^ hahaha yea a mate of mine had a old V8 mercades benz and it had like 2.5 or something like that and 1st gear wound out to about 130km/h :D

if u want an eas way put of it, go hunt thru some wreckers for a R31 skyline or pintara diff... between the R31 skyline and pintara seies, they had 3.7:1, 3.9:1 and 4.11:1 diff gears... and there a borg warner 28 spline diff so they are a straight swap with a commodore diff...

BUT sus that out 1st seeing as u have IRS... im pretty sure there a hydra-trac diff which might be different... not sure though
No hydratrack in a VP SS mate.

GIMPEESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard the 3.45 diff gears out of a vl turbo diff will fit and would be a bit better than the 3.08. is this so?

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
Yes the diff gears will fit , just a word of warning when you get the diff gears make sure you get a matching set as this is most important.

Not sure what you mean is better but 3.45's is in my view a very good ratio as you can still get some fuel econ but also still get a bit more sting of the line and around town

Hope that helps

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
If you want your car to be a good cruiser, have good fuel economy, and a riduculously high top speed then 3.08 is the best option.

If you want something that is more responsive, with more accelleration and better pick up then 3.45 would be a better choice.

flyen

bye bye
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
i got 3:45 gears from a VL TURBO in mine:D
soooo much better than the 3:08 but my diff was fair rooted from 270xxxk's of hard driving.

spedo is 10k's out now at 60k's

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard the 3.45 diff gears out of a vl turbo diff will fit and would be a bit better than the 3.08. is this so?

ALL VL's 6cyls are 3.45 ratio - just go and get one from the hundreds at a wrecker, that's what I did for my VR and got a Jaycar corrector kit to fix the speedo