Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does MY09 and MY08 etc mean

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Its some stupid thing holden have adopted from other makes (Subaru etc).

I'm yet to see a logical reason for it, all it does is make peopel think they are buying a '2010' model when in fact there buying a 2009 MY10 car...

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Its some stupid thing holden have adopted from other makes (Subaru etc).

I'm yet to see a logical reason for it, all it does is make peopel think they are buying a '2010' model when in fact there buying a 2009 MY10 car...

Surely that cant be it?

Vegaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
I'd pretty much say the same thing as Stealthy, just a flashy thing to make people go " Oh well now that you've pointed out its a "MY10" i'll take it. Much better than that other thing your trying to sell me ( even though there the same car)"

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That's definitely what the "MY" means. With Holden these days, instead of two yearly facelifts, they are tending to keep the same basic appearance of each model much longer, but altering the specifications substantially as time goes by.

If you compared a MY07 VE to a MY10 VE, you would find that the specifications had changed substantially. With each "MY", the motor trade is able to track the relative age and specification of the particular car, whereas in the past, you would have had to specifiy that your VZ was a 2004, 5 or 6 model, and there would even have been differences between an early and a late 2005 model, for example.

I guess it makes things simpler for the factory, dealers, spare parts departments and the used car trade to differentiate between the versions of the same basic model over the life of that model.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It would have made more sense if they used MY1, 2, 3 etc, not a number that is close to or the year before the current year...

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
That's definitely what the "MY" means. With Holden these days, instead of two yearly facelifts, they are tending to keep the same basic appearance of each model much longer, but altering the specifications substantially as time goes by.

If you compared a MY07 VE to a MY10 VE, you would find that the specifications had changed substantially. With each "MY", the motor trade is able to track the relative age and specification of the particular car, whereas in the past, you would have had to specifiy that your VZ was a 2004, 5 or 6 model, and there would even have been differences between an early and a late 2005 model, for example.

I guess it makes things simpler for the factory, dealers, spare parts departments and the used car trade to differentiate between the versions of the same basic model over the life of that model.

whats so hard about reading the place card to find out year/model/series ? :banstick:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i think its logical.

year built is still most important of course, but model year is also important because of updates.

ie There is a difference in value between all 09 built cars... because you got MY09 MY09.5 and MY10. They all may have a build date of 2009, but are quite different.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i think its logical.

year built is still most important of course, but model year is also important because of updates.

ie There is a difference in value between all 09 built cars... because you got MY09 MY09.5 and MY10. They all may have a build date of 2009, but are quite different.

Series 1 2 and 3 worked fine. If it aint broke, don't fix it ;)

Like i said, its just a scam to suck in people who don't know what it truely means :)