Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to buy? A nice, but agonising choice.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi,

Just tossing around ideas at the moment. It's nearly time to upgrade my VT. I'm in the position of being able to afford either a new SV6 (SIDI) or a 1-2 year old low Km SS. I committed to buying an Auto coz I'm lazy. I know if I go the SS, to steer away from x-cop cars, I'd only buy through a reputed dealer, most likely Holden. I'm not concerned about maintenance costs or anything like that. I love driving and am interested in the "on the road" attributes of each car (comfort, performance, smoothness etc).

After any thoughts on the choice? It's nice to actually have a choice this time!!

thanks.

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
Test drive both n see Wichita one fits you best

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
i;d say go for the SS as they have AFM (Active Fuel Management), however i'm not sure what year model they start off with, and if it really works or not.

fyi...i have a VE SSV Manual...first V8 i've ever had..and l'm loving the torque and not having to rev that high

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Get a Calais....same engine as SV6 but way comfy-er/nicer-er ....LOL ;)

Pookie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
We picked up our Berlina on Thurs sweet smooth car but Calais you get the FE2 and SV6 motor

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
definitely take at least those two for a test. More if you can. Obviously, I'd recommend the SS for it's endless torque, throttle response, etc - but I'm hugely biased. Best bet is to try them out and see what fits. I doubt you'll be disappointed with anything on a zeta platform. They all handle well, the FE 1.5 suspension on the newer calais is superb - firm enough to take on nice roads but not as aggressive as the set-up on the ss (which still isn't aggressive enough for me!). Each car caters for a different niche. Just a matter of finding yours.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
If modification is not in your agenda, go with the SV6 because IMHO the stock V8 is nothing to get excited about. However if you dont mind tinkering with the engine you cant go past the V8. All the best with your decision and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.