Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to look for buying VF SV6

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi All
Looking to buy a VF SV6 Ute (series 2) for work.
Private car sales are always cheaper however you can find yourself buying someone else's mechanical nightmare.
Can anyone provide a dot point list of things to check/ lookout for when inspecting VF Utes /V6s
Cheers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don't discount dealer sales, in these post-COVID days a lot of private sellers still think they can ask a massive premium where dealers need to be more realistic or they go broke.

I can't really answer your question, except to ask if the VE's a V6 and you knew what to look out for in those?
Because that will make the list others add a lot shorter, a lot of VF being carried-over from VE.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Correct service should help.
Books filled and detailing all the previous services I would be looking for.
Condition of the vehicle.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My advice has always been, if you are not experienced in checking the mechanics of a vehicle, pay someone who is,

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi All
Private car sales are always cheaper however you can find yourself buying someone else's mechanical nightmare.
Can anyone provide a dot point list of things to check/ lookout for when inspecting VF Utes /V6s
Cheers
I think the good thing about buying a Ute these days is that they have not all necessarily been flogged.
It’s not just your hard core tradies who buy them like back in the day. A lot of guys/girls buy them just for the convenience of having the tub if needed.

If you’ve got a budget, then only look at those within your budget. Look at as many as you can in as short a space of time as you can and pick the best example.

As pointed out above, due diligence is a must. Good luck.

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think the good thing about buying a Ute these days is that they have not all necessarily been flogged.
It’s not just your hard core tradies who buy them like back in the day. A lot of guys/girls buy them just for the convenience of having the tub if needed.

If you’ve got a budget, then only look at those within your budget. Look at as many as you can in as short a space of time as you can and pick the best example.

As pointed out above, due diligence is a must. Good luck.
I like the convenience of ute's being proper 2 seaters, only ever one screaming passenger.
The best utes are the versions with the option box ticked of '2 extra cylinders'...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I like the convenience of ute's being proper 2 seaters, only ever one screaming passenger.
The best utes are the versions with the option box ticked of '2 extra cylinders'...
My mate had an SS where he ticked that box, V10 VE2’s are rare I tells ya!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hi All
Cheers
Just remember, when buying private, you don't get any guarantees at all. You can get a PPSR certificate which defines whether any loans against the car exist (which can thus protects you from later claims) but you don't get guaranteed title. That is, you need to check that the seller is the legal owner above and beyond the PPSR certificate and rego papers state. Don't confuse registered owner as legal owner... check his/her purchase docs and prove to yourself he/she has the right to sell it.

Buying at a dealer provides guaranteed title, no loans held by someone else. Better still it provides both a 90? day 5000? kms used car warranty as well as an ACL statutory warranty. It also means you don't have to deal with some private sellers who can be delusional with their asking price.

As for any used car, unless you are mechanically proficient, get the vehicle checked by some independent mechanic you trust. Don't blindly trust service book stamps. If you can, look for one owner dealer serviced vehicle and then ask to look at the Holden dealer service receipts as they list all the driver complaints he's made about the car. There can be gold info in them there complaints...

As for the types of issues, modern cars if well serviced can be good cars. As for issues, well anything can go wrong but good servicing will have them addressed. Engines and gear boxes need TLC and probably more frequent servicing that every 15,000*, especially if they have a tow bar attached and the owner has a trailer, boat or caravan... Likely that's the case for many utes trades people would be looking at as they;d fall into the towing category. In such cases I'd want to see 7500km oil changes as a minimum and trans fluid and diff oil changes at 50,000kms if not sooner. If it;s some old guys well service low km garage queen, pay a premium.

* buying a car whichtows heavy trailers in stop start city during summer and only changes oils every 15k is asking for engine and gearbox trouble.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
  • Haha