Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What wagon or SUV would you buy for 20k?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
They were all the rage 5 or so years ago. I'll keep it in mind as a left field possibility.
I would personally avoid diesel options unless you're planning to regularly do long trips in them... City driving tends to clog up things like DPF filters, which become very expensive...

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
They were all the rage 5 or so years ago. I'll keep it in mind as a left field possibility.
i used to drive a dual fuel VE Berlina as the daily the Mondeo saved me over $20 a week, its just not a cool car though.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would personally avoid diesel options unless you're planning to regularly do long trips in them... City driving tends to clog up things like DPF filters, which become very expensive...
agreed but ford seem to have got the DPF setup right compared to others

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i used to drive a dual fuel VE Berlina as the daily the Mondeo saved me over $20 a week, its just not a cool car though.
Ahh the good old dual fuel, why am I not surprised?.
They made the car less efficient by making it heavier by adding a second fuel tank and fuel in order to make it cheaper to run. Makes perfect sense to someone i guess.
I would say at least half of the diesel cars you see on the road are not used for the wrong type of driving. So the car is not always at fault. The greenies also have a lot to answer for with their dpf regulations. Combine both issues and we have essentially turned hoards of people away from the more economical fuel source.
As Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS! Luckily the Koreans avoided installing dpfs until they were forced to, so they avoided all the blockage issues for a long time.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
agreed but ford seem to have got the DPF setup right compared to others
I think they had trouble with the guard on the DPF on the Rangers. Apparently, grass and hay could get caught on the guards and there was a chance it may catch fire.
I believe Ford were aware of this problem for quite sometime, but just ignored it. Not sure if they’ve fixed it now.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but I'd still be more cautious when considering a diesel
misses drives our ranger to work and back 10 min drive never a issue with dpf 185k on it now. It does get heaps of interste trips though.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh the good old dual fuel, why am I not surprised?.
They made the car less efficient by making it heavier by adding a second fuel tank and fuel in order to make it cheaper to run. Makes perfect sense to someone i guess.
I would say at least half of the diesel cars you see on the road are not used for the wrong type of driving. So the car is not always at fault. The greenies also have a lot to answer for with their dpf regulations. Combine both issues and we have essentially turned hoards of people away from the more economical fuel source.
As Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS! Luckily the Koreans avoided installing dpfs until they were forced to, so they avoided all the blockage issues for a long time.
we went dual fuel as i was doing 140kms a day to work and back and LPG was 60 cents. passed the car on to the lad when he got his licence sold it with 250k on it never touched the engine or trans(old 4sp) alternator at 150k and 02 sensors at 200k. Was a great car but at those kms was feeling old in the suspension.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
we went dual fuel as i was doing 140kms a day to work and back and LPG was 60 cents. passed the car on to the lad when he got his licence sold it with 250k on it never touched the engine or trans(old 4sp) alternator at 150k and 02 sensors at 200k. Was a great car but at those kms was feeling old in the suspension.
I bet it was. They need new struts by the time they hit 150k. It would have driven like a trampoline at 250. A lot of people just don't notice how bad their shocks are and just aren't interested in spending the money to replace them.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
misses drives our ranger to work and back 10 min drive never a issue with dpf 185k on it now. It does get heaps of interste trips though.
Yep, that's probably why your DPF is okay