Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the best all round Nineties Commodore?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There was a user on here who recently towed a boat many thousands of km's with an ecotec powered ute purchased specifically for the task. He liked it so much after it performed flawlessly he decided to keep it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If you mean the Alloytec, however, that's a much more complicated beast, and is filled with heretical items like multiple overhead cams and variable timing and the block is made from recycled beer cans instead of recycled boat anchors.

This made me chuckle :)

To the OP, go as new as you can and get a VT Exec with 200,000kms and call it good.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My wife's grandad towed his large van up and down the Qld cost for years with his VS executive and never had a problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1, VS Equipe S2 and VS Executive
G'day Hertz Donut, what you have said sounds encouraging as I'm good with hammers (in fact that was my nickname when young) and I can swear like a trooper but you scared me a bit mentioning Alloytec as I have no idea what that is! Unfortunately for me the last Holden I had was an HT which had none of these new fangly electronic devices but died of old age hence my ventures into the new and frightening age of electronics in vehicles. The main problem is when looking at the wiring loom there seem to be a few loose wires just hanging there or a socket and nearby plug disconnected. I must hasten to add that I have a VN series 1 engine in a Ford Transit so maybe that's why

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Wozza: So you're not a fan of ECOTEC then? Do you feel the technology is complicated and prone to malfunctions? I certainly want to keep things simple in the tech area so in principle I'm in your camp but I suppose I'm wondering what advantages would there be in going for a VS onwards compared to the downsides

Ive worked on both the ecotec isn't any more complicated just a few more of those annoying engineering up yours that holdens throw at us home mechanics ....prior to the VS the airbag and safety features were optional
I get more pleasure at driving things that have a bigger potential to kill you :) and anything that starts with eco gota be bad ;)

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Engines are...
VN-VR = Known as "Buick 3800". You've got one in your Transit, but bear in mind there's Series I and series II engines, which differ.
VS-VY = Ecotec, a Buick 3800 pretending to be refined. I reckon you want one of these.
VZ-onwards = Alloytec. You probably don't want one of these.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
FFS - why not ask which is the best colour or footy team :bang:.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I like my 95 VS Exec, ecotec (now l67) and live axle. Also doesnt have airbags or ABS. Would have to be close to the last without all the extra baggage and IRS.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Has anyone crashed or even seen a crashed VS recently? Do those old airbags still work..?