Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the meaning of different 'stage' mods?

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
For instance Stage 4 headers, stage 2 shift kit, etc...

What does it mean?? Obviously higher the stage the better but in detail how do they differ exactly?? Tried searching all over the place and couldn't find much on it. Would appreciate it if someone could explain for ol' ignorant deXtrous :)

Also, I am replacing my water pump, and when I took it off there was a chip on the plate (on the engine). I think that may be what is causing my leak in my car... Is there any way to repair that? I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

ChappyVS95

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Holden Commodore VS Ute
yeah im with you i got no idea i would like to know what they mean :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The "stage" terminology is most commonly referred to by some guy who has nfi what he has but it's obviously the fastest thing on wheels and quite often has the term "bro" at the end of it.

Some speed shops will advertise stage packages but they all vary from place to place.

Reaper

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
What reaper said. It's like clothes sizes... They certainly are a reference point as to what's better and worse in that particular line or brand, but definitely not across different ones.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
bump :) ....
Reaper answered it for you.

Companies offer different stages of performance. However, one companies stage 4 could be the same as a better companies stage 2, so you really can't compare them if their different companies....

His 'bro' comment is also very true, most people who have these 'stage' mods are just full of ****.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
one brands stage 3 can be another brands stage 1..

its more of a guide. sometimes higher stages arent nessecarily better for your application. for instance a stage 4 cam package which could be also a stage 2 may be unsuitable to be driven daily but more of a weekender.

when someone says its stage this.. ask them whats included and how it differs from the stage above or below it.

EDIT: i should stop watching TV and type quicker!

Last edited:

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
The "stage" terminology is most commonly referred to by some guy who has nfi what he has but it's obviously the fastest thing on wheels and quite often has the term "bro" at the end of it.

Some speed shops will advertise stage packages but they all vary from place to place.

Reaper

laughing my head off - the above is so true. Put a stage chip in and your stock standard VR-VS will fly. Why won't it, the ad says it will - buyers please understand some basic mechanics b4 wasting your money.

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
oh and please remember that your car was designed for it's initial horsepower impact protection for the occupants - you increase horsepower and the protection is out the window. Do it at your own peril.

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
I mean to say are higher 'stage' mods different from lower stage mods, in terms of installation, parts or mechanism? Or are they all the same, just higher/lower quality?

Funnily enough I heard about 'stage 5 extractors' from the hectic Greek wogboy at work. Didn't know what he meant so I just nodded obliviously.