Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the truth?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... At Middlemount were told that it cost $13 per tonne to get the coal from out of the ground to the wharf. At the time coal was selling for $300 per tonne. They were making a killing. No idea what it sells for now ...
Doesn’t matter, as is they pay little to no tax in true Hollywood accounting fashion.

Any wonder that nobody in a position of power, hint they are not in the government, give two hoots about the environment. They continue to make so much tax free via legalised scams, they couldn’t lie straight in bed if they tried. Likely they have already made contingency plans for the bad effects of global warming so they’ll still be at the top of the heap.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ One scam; Apple USA sells its IP to its subsidiary for $1. This subsidiary that’s in a tax free jurisdiction, buys Apple products that are made in China while on the boat to Australia. Sells this stock for huge markup to the Australian subsidiary who then can’t really make any money selling the stuff. End result is money gets sucked out of Australia via a constructed company structure who’s sole purpose is to deprive the tax department of what should be their fair share.

Another scam; BHP seems to have incompetent staff since they must sell their ore to a Singapore subsidiary for peanuts. The obviously skilled people in Singapore are able to sell the ore at global rates that the Aussie lot could never do (yeah right). The huge profit is taxed in Singapore at 3% and the Aussie tax department and the people of Australia are denied a fair share of the resources pulled out of the ground.

Such stuff goes on and on with multinationals including the auto industry who used bullshit transfer pricing to charge silly amounts for imported parts.

Tax laws exist to stop this **** but they seem to not be applied by those in the ATO who should be looking out for our interests.

But hey, these multinationals donate huge amounts to our political parties so no foul :oops:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The obviously skilled people in Singapore are able to sell the ore at global rates that the Aussie lot could never do

See, this is exactly why we need more skilled immigration.....:rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have looked into climate change somewhat. From what I have read from those considered experts in the field, is that climate change is not occurring at the rapid rate that the media portrays it is. It would seem there is some scaremongering going on.

From what I also understand is that is that it's not just man-made pollution causing the problems. The melting permafrost is having a huge impact on methane and CO2 levels. I think there is a lot of hype in the media coming from environmental activists that has no more knowledge on the true science behind what is occurring than a 7 year old child does. And what they are doing cruelly is using kids as pawns in a game to try and persuade the authorities to take action, on their own political agendas.

Do I believe climate change is occurring absolutely, evidence shows the ice is melting. However is this reversible?? I would think at best all we can do is slow it's affects. However on the other hand climate change is having some positive affects on certain countries. The warming climate has helped to provide more food in today's society than it could have 50 years ago. More of the worlds poorest countries have food that a few years ago were not able to produce, like they can now.

I remember not so long ago when climate change was rarely mentioned. Go back 20 years ago and I don't think anyone even gave it a thought. Back then it was about the Murray getting salty and droughts making it hard for farmers. Activists would blame climate change on droughts but ever since white man hit the Aust shores we have had droughts. Don't get me wrong though am all for trying to reduce waste and do what we can to reduce emissions but I honestly think in the end the earth will die regardless we will simply run out of stuff but that could be a 1000 years away.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The truth is you won't see the truth on the news. Or online. Every idiot around is desperate to make sensational headlines and get famous. While every politician I can think of is in it to push his own agenda and get rich. The truth is more likely a very minute climatic change by something like half a degree. And a sea level change up or down by some amount too small to notice.
Don't go out and spend your life savings building an arc just yet people. But a compost bin and maybe solar cells would be worth looking into.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wonder what Mulder would think of all of this?
Would it be a case of the fox in the hen house?