Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel jolting when breaking mostly at lower speeds

Dismissedtub

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais v6

so I noticed a bit of a clunk when braking at lower speeds only from the front left wheel and I'm wondering what could be causing this. just some information I put new struts in like 3 weeks ago. the lower control arm bushes are worn a bit and I have new ones on the way. so any idea on whats causing this is greatly appreciated

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
IMG_5446.jpeg

Do both sides regardless.

Dismissedtub

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais v6
Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldn't skimp, commodores need all the help they can get. Just be sure to get both the subframe and control arm sides of the castor, with that much movement they are both likely cactus. The new control arms may come with rubber castor bushes but they will probably be junk

I'm bias to urethane, specifically Superpro as you don't want any give or your toe and alignment will feel it

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, it turned out my passenger side lower control arm bush was buggered (the one closer to the ball joint) but could also be radius rod bush as well. Jack up the car and have a look

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As mentioned...It'll definately be the front Z-bar/radius rod bush.....(Known by both names)..If you lever this bush via the front washer, you should see the entire wheel move forward....Should confirm the diagnosis being provided

It is generally best to replace the lower control arm bush at the same time, but not absolutely necessary....Really depends if it is gone and how far you wish to go...

Also as shown, you can buy complete control arms, with new balljoints and bushings cheaply.....If going down that path, just mention what series VT you have to get the correct one...

The front radius rod bush/z-bar bush can be replaced without removing the lower control arm...

Last edited:

Mario2024

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS
yea i have some lower control arms coming had to get the other ball joint ones as mine is series 1 VT so no bolt for the top it's like a clamp. I'm also thinking of getting the mackay strut rod bushes from supercheap for $70 or would it be okay to get cheapos off eBay for like $40? thanks for the help.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...-pair---holden-commodore-vt-vz/SPO179537.html
Be careful what you buy on eBay. Replaced every bush/ joint, on my vy with cheap parts off eBay and half of them needed replacing within 20,000 kms