Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where is that thread with....

foolsp33d

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Drover 4WD.
all the specs for ''how to id an ex cop car''namely a VS..

it had a list of points to look for when investigating if the purchase is a ex cop or civi car.
Things like the SS interior, dash differences, id tag info, sump plate n tank plate etc etc.
If I recall the thread said something about the tags listing the ex cops as something else other than BT's.. but I for the life of me cant remember..

Not for MY car.. Investigating for a friend..

Tried to PM a mod about it last night but it fell on deaf ears.. hopefully one of you helpful lot can quickly point me in the right direction.

Cheers in advance.

sp33d

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
BT1 should be stamped on the compliance plate under the bonnet.BT1 is the code for the package that they fit to the police cars and some other emergency and government vehicles.Ive read that the later model "police" commodores are not called BT1 any more, they go under some other code.Im not sure when this changed,or what it was changed to, so its possible the VS model is under a different code.As for spotting one,there should be BT1(or the other code) on the compliance plate,the auto transmission shifter should have the modified shift gate where it lets you change back to second gear without lifting the lever on the shifter.They also had sump and fuel tank guards fitted,and usually a LSD diff, FE2 suspension and the speedo usually doesnt light up at night,there is a seperate light bulb that shines down on it above the speedo to light it up.There is also the ECU which has the RFI package, which is basically shielding that helps stop the police radios interfering with the ECU or vice versa.Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
After VS series 2 BT1 became 9C1. The few BT1s i have seen have had vinyl rear seats, also. Dont know if this was an NZ only thing or not.

bandidoben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon
BT1s arnt just cop cars. its the cop car "pack" so it was also for ambulance cars and fire autority cars.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
BT1 should be stamped on the compliance plate under the bonnet.BT1 is the code for the package that they fit to the police cars and some other emergency and government vehicles.Ive read that the later model "police" commodores are not called BT1 any more, they go under some other code.Im not sure when this changed,or what it was changed to, so its possible the VS model is under a different code.As for spotting one,there should be BT1(or the other code) on the compliance plate,the auto transmission shifter should have the modified shift gate where it lets you change back to second gear without lifting the lever on the shifter.They also had sump and fuel tank guards fitted,and usually a LSD diff, FE2 suspension and the speedo usually doesnt light up at night,there is a seperate light bulb that shines down on it above the speedo to light it up.There is also the ECU which has the RFI package, which is basically shielding that helps stop the police radios interfering with the ECU or vice versa.Hope this helps a bit.

Yep...all of the above plus mine has :-

SS interior

speedo in 2km increments

If the car hasn't been resprayed since it's civic service days, you may well see some scratching in the paint, for example a circular line around the fuel filler cap, which I have been told is where the police stickers would have been cut to suit. Not much care by Mr Plod.

Oh, and the owners hand book says delivered to Commisioner of Police. If the car you or your friend is looking at has the original owners manual that will help confirm it is ex-cop and not something else.