Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which car to buy?? must be gen 3

Which car to buy? must be gen 3

• vx berlina, and mod it up

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • vx calais

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • vx clubsport

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • vx ss

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • vy berlina

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • vy calais

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • vy ss

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • vy clubsport.

Votes: 34 42.0%

• Total voters

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
Yeah i do prefer the shape of vy over the vx. Any one know how i find out the factory features of different models? i.e. what a berlina comes stock with, what an ss comes stock with etc etc.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
SS comes with:
FE2
LSD
Decent body kit.

Not 100% of the berlina, but I THINK they have climate control, maybe leather, some gay looking chromed plastic everywhere.

Frankly, if I were you I'd chase a VY or VZ SS Manual. If you look into VZ's go the 6ltr. All depends on cash eh.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
Hey soop, do you know much about the holden lsd? Is it any good?
would use the car for the odd burnout now and again and a bit of racing. Would do diff gears, but is the stock holden lsd any good? or would i be better off going for a trutrak or something?

Last edited:

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Holden factory LSD is crapola.Im sure someone will disagree though.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
auto for skids :D

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
it basically comes down to your personal preferences mate..

Are you after power, comfort, drivability, insurance costs low/high, auto or manual etc...

Be easier to decide once you put in all that, Cause personally id be going either a VYSS or VY clubby, probably the SS for insurance and in manual, leather trim.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to how much you want to spend. If you buy a stock car (from those on your list), factor in maybe $8-10k to get you near your 400rwhp.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Go VY SS.
Im biased but they're a tonne lighter the a VE, Cheaper on insurance then a clubsport too.

I have had VX II SS, VY II SS & VE SSV. For a toy I'd probably choose a VX II SS but thats because I like the shape of them best. I would also hold out for a series II as they have the extra control link on the rear. The IRS setups were not good by any stretch in VT-VZ however they did get marginally better with VXII.

For pre driving experience the VE chassis leaves all previous Commodores for dead. They are a little porky but that is more than made up with better handling. Spend a little on the motor and any straight line accelleration difference due to weight would be bugger all.

Def agree with the insurance bit. Check for yourself - HSV insurance is usually thru the roof.

Reaper

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
it basically comes down to your personal preferences mate..

Are you after power, comfort, drivability, insurance costs low/high, auto or manual etc...

Be easier to decide once you put in all that, Cause personally id be going either a VYSS or VY clubby, probably the SS for insurance and in manual, leather trim.

Basically looking for something as a daily driver, but also something i can take down to the drags for a bit of fun and something that will do a mean skid and drive away. Looking auto definitely for skids. A combination of comfort and power would be good. Obviously drivability would be a big factor being a daily. Insurance costs im not too fussed about. Just looking for a good daily and something i can have a lot of fun in.

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well VY Clubsport will most likely be the dearest car of the lot to buy overall. Keep that in mind.