Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which dog?

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
when i was 17 i bought a pure bred kelpie (he's with my mother in law now), he's been awesome really smart, easy to train, safe around children yet big enough to be a decent gaurd dog. he went threw a tiny chewing stage when he was a few weeks old but grew out of it and is perfectly fine now, has tonnes of energy though you can walk him morning noon and night and he still wants more !

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I've had a long hair german shepard and a rottweiler...

The shepard was a bitch and had a pretty nasty temprament but the rotti was wicked...

GREAT guard dog... (the rotti)... he jumped THROUGH a glass window to get some bogan who was snooping around the house.

Both were VERY intelligent... took abit to train the rotti as we got him when he was already a 50kg 9month old pup.

But you need ALOT of time and a massive yard for a rotti... plus if u have grass now... you soon won't! lol
The rottweiler breed is prop to hind quater joint issues due to their stance but ours never had any issues.

There are "TRUE" Rottweilers which are german rotti and they are stocky... snort snout, etc.

There are also "American Rottweilers"... i think they where crossed with a ridgeback somewhere along the line and are more "athletic" looking...

Other than that.... now you can't dock tails rottis look weird.

I wanna get a staffy next...their tuff!

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
I reckon bull terriers are the go, they are good gaurd dogs, good with kids if brought up right, not made to be a psycho, and they don't need a real lot of excersise unlike cattle dogs and sheapherds,

JW 304

JW 304
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L Sedan
How old are your kiddies?
I work with animals every day and although some dog breeds have certain tendancies I never judge a dog by it's breed. In general I have noticed German Shepherds are very unpredictable, as are a lot of cattle dogs.
I have only ever met really nice dobermanns, the same goes for dougue de bordeaux.
If you want a guard dog all you really need is a dog that will bark if there are strange people around. It's just a deterrent - If the dog will bite strangers what's to say it wouldn't bite your family?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Bangers how old are your kids ?

You don't want any large breed of dog if you have youngsters under 8 yrs old.

A dog has got to know where it's position is in your family, so everyone must train it for it to know that it ain't the boss.

Otherwise you'd be better off with a yappy little lap dog such as a Pomeranian. I wouldn't advice any breed that has a terrier bloodline in it somewhere if you've got youngsters.

What about one of these I think they are a gentle breed of dog ?

'Oddball' idea protects island penguin population - National - theage.com.au

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i'd go nuts trying to groom that dog =/

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Unless you have a massive yard and heaps and heaps of spare time go with a good security system and a cat.

One thing i hate is the number of dogs cooped up in yards less than half an acre with owners who don't find the couple of hours a day to properly look after them.

Not saying this is you but be sure about it before you do it.

I'm with you on this one. I might have mentioned previously that my wife does work for the RSPCA and the number of cases we've come across where you just want to to beat the crap out of stupid owners is endless (again, not saying this is you). Bottom line is don't buy any pet unless you have the time to dedicate to it every day. When a dog becomes destructive, 99 times out of 100 it's because they're bored. But most owners just dismiss the dog as being stupid. It's not the dogs fault.

Also only get a dog if you're going to treat it like a real member of your family. As far as buying a dog DO NOT buy from a pet shop. Most pet shops buy from puppy mills which are basically backyard breaders who keep the adult dogs in cages and then bread over and over and over again just to supply the stores. It's disgusting and should be banned. Buy from a pound or RSPCA shelter. The turnover of dogs and cats at the RSPCA is huge and if you don't find something you want one week, just try again next week. Also you can buy a dog from a shop for upwards of $1000 and all you get is a vet check and it's shots. you can buy from the RSPCA and it's been vet checked, had it's shots, been desexed, microchipped and you can help give a beautiful natured dog a second chance who may have been neglected or mistreated, all for about $220.

Whatever you get, have it desexed. It will improve it's nature around small kids and in female dogs it can also increase it's life span. For every litter a dog has the chances of getting cancer are multiplied.

By the way we've got two maltese X and they are the best guard dogs. They hear a strange noise and they're ready to attack. It's funny seeing a small dog thinking thy're a rotti. But at the same time they're real people dogs.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Staffies are only good for people who spend all their time at home, they suffer from separation anxiety.

German shepherds in Australia are too inbred because the breeding circles are too small here.

Dobermans are great dogs when trained correctly but you need to drill into them from a young age who's boss and where they stand in the family. Training is imperative.

Huskies are too uncontrollable for a family dog.

I'd love to have a irish wolfhound, bull mastif or a boxer if I had a large yard.

Friend's brother had a Rotweiler and this thing was so well trained. He raised his hand and the dog sat down right beside him.

I used to have a long haired dashound. Was hilarious to see my friends freak out if the dog went off in the dark because it had a large voice for a small dog. I took it to a farm and the farm dogs were **** scared of my dog.

If you buy from rspca try to spend some time with the dog and assess it's temprament. If you buy from a breeder, check out the mother and make sure you get papers.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I want to get a German Shepard. My parents had one when I was younger and from what I can remember of him he was a great dog! I’ve heard that curtain X breeds can have problems with their hips later on in life?

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
We've got a doberman we picked up from the pound and a german long haired pointer we got from a breeder in SA. the pointer is still a pup but if she's anything like the short haired pointer we had before she's gonna be a real sharp cookie. Dobermans are really loyal, have a good temperament. but like with any animal. care for it, put in the time and effort and you'll gain a loyal companion.