Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Charlton Heston had the roads all to himself in Omega man :p

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
^ In VIC there was a road safety campaign to “wipe off 5 to stay alive”. NSW had “don’t rush” while QLD had “no time for speeding”. Other states & territories pushed similar propaganda.

Such ads created an attitude that driving a little slower than the limit was safer. However, when over reading speedos were factored in, it often meant that people were doing up to 10kph below the speed limit. Driving driving within the conditions fell from the radar, so 90kph in a 100 zone in the pissing rain was considered safe by Joe Average.

All this did was create frustration for capable drivers that simply wanted to drive at the limit in safe conditions :oops: Way to dumb down the population’s driving skills o_O
I agree with safety on the roads , that's why I use my CC to keep me within a couple of k's of the speed limit ,when you have a 30k variation in speeds this is when it becomes dangerous . I drive to the conditions , so when it's raining I definitely knock off 10k.
Here's an example from this morning of under powered vehicles in a under speed incident that could have been nasty , keep an eye on the small truck in the 3rd lane and were doing 96k , 14 k under the limit , full screen will give you a better perspective

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I agree with safety on the roads , that's why I use my CC to keep me within a couple of k's of the speed limit ,when you have a 30k variation in speeds this is when it becomes dangerous . I drive to the conditions , so when it's raining I definitely knock off 10k.
Here's an example from this morning of under powered vehicles in a under speed incident that could have been nasty , keep an eye on the small truck in the 3rd lane and were doing 98k , 12 k under the limit , full screen will give you a better perspective
Sorry, no work for me.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Don’t have a problem with the cruise system itself. Better the works Triton or the POS system in the missus mazda 3.

Now the flimsy controls on the wheel with the rubber wheel thats as strong as a tissue...

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I don't have too many issues with my CC either. If the car wants to creep up in speed on a longish downhill I just do what the truckies do - flick it down a gear or maybe 2 depending on the steepness of the hill. No need to ride the brake at all. Coming down the South Eastern freeway into Adelaide, last section is 90kph, i flick it into 4th and it sits nicely at 90kph and I never hit the brakes until I am at the bottom intersection.
On flat and uphill, the cruise is pretty accurate. Also to check the accuracy of your speedo, compare it to a GPS app on your phone

Last edited:

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
The Kia Sorrento’s CC is excellent. (Work car)
I turn off the adaptive cruise when on country freeways/Hwy’s (works like the old CC...just like the VF)
Turn on the adaptive when on the Monash car park...does all the braking for you while crawling...right down to a full stop.
I also like how it always displays the CC set speed and you are able to toggle up or down...long press = 10kmh increments, single press = 1kmh increments.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I've never had an issue with my cruise control.

Though there is a particular hill each time I go to work that it doesn't have a good time with. I'll have it set to 60 and it'll get to nearly the top of the hill and slow to about 56, then it'll drop to 3rd (from 5th) and gives it a boot and I end up at about 64 at the top as the hill goes downhill soon after flattening out. To avoid it, I just put the car into 4th (auto) and it goes fine up the hill and maintains 60.

Once coming down that same hill (opposite side), I let the car speed up to see just how much it would go over what I had it set as whilst travelling downhill. I got to 68 and to my surprise it dropped a gear to stop the car from speeding up even further.

I use cruise control everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Each time I turn a corner, as soon as I get above 35 I will hit the resume to get it back up to 60. 10% of my driving is me speeding up to above 35, the other 90% is the car on cruise control. The car practically lives on cruise control.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I think it works fine as a normal cruise control.

I use it a lot on the M1, specially at night.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I drove a Subaru Outback two weeks ago whilst in Adelaide. The Cruise Control on that thing is bloody unreal. Makes the VF one look like a kids toy in comparison. All I had to do was steer the car and cruise control did the rest with confidence. Also felt very well built and solid inside. If I was shopping for a new family car I highly recommend the Outback. They have a new Turbo 4 coming out soon to replace the existing NA6.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Outback has that nasty gerlytruk plastic cladding & rides high to meet the gerlytruk fashion requirements ... nah.
Shame they canned the Liberty wagon because gerlytruk buyers are dumb & they could make 10% more profit per Outback.