Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do VP's seem to go faster than the VR's according to the magazine road tests?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Turtle power made a good point about the auto tranny's being electronically controlled from VR onwards, I've found the elctronic shifted TH700 to be an absolute dog compared to the old school ones. Shouldn't really affect it in a straight line though so meh, I dunno.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I think it's something to do with the throttle body and the tuning which made the VN series 1 so fast off the mark, I also read that when buyers had traded up from the VL to the series 1 VN they missed the smoothness of the sweet Nissan 6 and the Jatco 4 speed auto box, that along with grannies driving through shop windows because off it's great throttle response (blip the throttle 3 mm and move 3 meters) caused the refinement and toning down of the series 2 VN's.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
muso said:
Wouldn't it be nice if you could "unrestrict" it back to VN series 1 level :my:
The VR's I've driven all seem to go well and so do VP's.
VP+P plater = Burnout:driving:
Yes and thank god when i had my new Tranny just done i didn't ask for the more electronic trannys to be stuck in my car, I was thinking about it:D.
I would love to drive a VS with VN Auto:D, Thats the problem with electronic stuff it can be tunned. I rang Herrod for my brother about his BA's slow take off's, He was saying that they can get into anything on cars as soon as they got smarter making them more electronic they can tap into anything,
pandaman said:
Turtle power made a good point about the auto tranny's being electronically controlled from VR onwards, I've found the elctronic shifted TH700 to be an absolute dog compared to the old school ones. Shouldn't really affect it in a straight line though so meh, I dunno.
My friend has a VR Berlina and it's smoother but slower,
Then way back in 95 we Hired a new VS Commodore, It was like missing 5 cylinders on take off it was a real disappointment, No doubt the engine was better more refined tranny was smooth, But you always felt that car was retarded on launch, At speeds 40kp/h cruising it would bite hard on kick downs was great, But just don't take off fast and expect a great fast response, If i had one today i would love to have the tranny looked at and see if something has been programed in there to stop hard launches.
But if i could have a VS tomorrow i would NP.
I also drove my other mates VN Lexus, Out of all the Buick engines the VN's sound different inside, And they do feel more alive and less safe to be honest:D

elljay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VS Berlina
turtle-power said:
I think it's in the Transmissions, the more Electronic Transmission from Vr on wards was more restrictive on launch to hold back wheel spin as much as they could.
i agree with turtle power. my mates vp changes gears quicker and rougher then my vs

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea same, but mind you in your case its prlly the ecotec engine too..

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
traversleigh said:
i agree with turtle power. my mates vp changes gears quicker and rougher then my vs
I have a knew tranny and they are not the best things every made:p Shift fast but shift harder. My mums not very happy about it cause we spent $1100 on it so she expected it to be perfect. It's not but it's good 10 times better then before it does what it's told to all the time:D
fitzy2005 said:
yea same, but mind you in your case its prlly the ecotec engine too..
There are many that have done things to there throttle body's, Changed programs in the ECU, And still can't get the stock VN-VP times, Cause they are still slightly slow off the mark, But i wonder how anyone has gone with a shift kit:my:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I know it's been said before like it or lump it the VN and VP is probably the quickest of the V6 (Buick\Ecotec) Commodores, VP's are at the other side of the lights when my VX is still thinking about moving.

I think on one of the Holden Forums there was a thread asking which was the quickest V6 and according to road tests and after much debate I think it was a toss up between the series 1 VN and the VP, I think the VP went a bit harder than the tamed down series 2 VN.

Last edited:

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
This has got to be proof, I just had a run with a VN V8 LSD the words this thing roared hard he was behind me getting it sideways with every hard input on the throttle, And it's only auto.
Anyway one thing leads to another before you know :hit: it (I don't condone racing:)) But we were at it for the next 30 seconds. And blow me down no ****en **** my car keeped it behind and it closed but not very fast, I was more shocked then maybe him, But i can't stop shaken it's the real first head to head i have done like that that has lasted that long,
It went from a little stab to the roundabout to threw it sideways and more, I don't think I'll go there again to chicken like the straights more less sideways:p

When i asked about the price for my Transmission 2 months ago, The price was the same for both VN and VP, Because he used the same Transmission for both, So i wouldn't be surprised if i have a VN transmission now?

anfsvl

VPDRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Holden Commodore VP SII EXEC
cos vp rock lol..n i own one...lol vp rock