Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
HP=Torque*RPM/7120.8 try it if you dont believe me And just my 2 cents, ill maybee give in and say the VL is a cult car, as someone stated, a cult is something that has a lot of stupid people following some other idiot, for no concievable, rational, or logical reason, excatly like the VL's following ;)

This shirt is gives a good idea...:whistling
144802295_tp.jpg

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What turbo lag!?

T3 hiflow in mine, nothing special and it spools at 2500 easy. 10psi and no complaints for me!

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
ppl just jealous XD

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Ok, i drove a VL today that i decided i would have, but it did have an injected 5 Liter in it lol

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Yes but your missing the point VLs came out with factory turbos... So joblow can walk into a shop, buy vl turbo gear, bolt it on and drive away. No need to get it engineered. When I said bodykits I ment putting on gay t spoilers or hornet scoops or newer model commodore body kits on older model commodore....

And do you really see v8s being popular in the future when petrol will be $2+ a liter.

Couldn't agree more. there is nothing worse then a commy espicialy VC - VL with a body kit. looks like the biggest ricers car ever. might as well put a big drag wing on a honda civic and put a canon on it:bang: but the ones i hate is a brand called Monkey body kits ( i think) there in SC mags and they make new model kits for older model cars and they are the UGLIEST things i have ever seen, once again might as well have a big sticker on ya back window saying 'R I C E'

i would agree also with the vt's having an ugly arse though.. ah well each to their own:whistling

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
what colour is your shovel?

Guru Spook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yes N/A VLs are slow, but so is every standard 6 cylinder commy including the ****ty VN with the prehistoric buick 6 and especially with an auto behind it!

I know this is an old post, but it's quite true. People always rag on the poor old N/A VLs for being slow. So were the 202 powered VBs-VKs. I just think it's funny when the V6 fanboys beat their chest, and bag the N/A RB30 forgetting that the RB30 is at a 800cc disadvantage. Infact if the RB30 was the same displacement as the Buick V6 the RB30 would tear it a new asshole. I just find the Buick V6s very overrated in stock form. Yeah I'm not doubting they would respond respond better to mods than a RB30E, but in standard form they're nothing special. Most these days would probably be lucky to do a 16 second 1/4 mile.

The N/A might not be the most ideal choice for performance, but what it lacks in performance certainly makes up for in smoothness. I've never driven a Holden 6 that is as smooth as the humble old RB30 N/A, or Turbo. IMO that's more important when it comes to stock engines than wanking over a 15/16 second 1/4 mile time.

Anyway as for the cars themselves I absolutely love them. They still look great by today's standards. Actually I think all the first generation Commodores still look great. VLs just hold a special place in my heart. I still love the sight of a nice, and clean SL, Executive, Berlina, Calais etc with a set of nice wheels regardless of what type of engine they have.

Last edited:

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
yes nice thread dig!
and I agree with you , they are smooth and powerful and look great.
they will also keep up with a twenty year YOUNGER VT/VX so for $1000-$2000 car that is value for money also.
and they are 30% more powerful than a 202 with 15% better fuel economy and they were holdens FIRST 200kms/h 6cyl. which the vn cannot take away from them. NO 2ND PRIZES BOYS!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i agree the vl is a cult car and i love them just as much, having owned 6 vls (and i would own another one no questions asked).

however i dont like them with stupid bodykits i prefer the exec look or the berlina... the turbo is definately a powerhouse but i would love a factory VL V8 for cruising, you dont see them all that often and its a nice change