Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Not exactly sure why you’re being so precious?? Jumped in with your very first reply attempting to put words in my mouth...I could guess as to why you got the guilts but that’s your issue....I prefer Aussie Commodore..strange I know but that’s why I’m on this forum.

Lol, again with the irony. You wouldnt have made the post if you hadnt been so precious about what people choose to drive or do with their own cars. I didnt put any words in your mouth at all.

Also, have a look back at how many other replies i've made in this topic so dont flatter yourself.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Lol, again with the irony. You wouldnt have made the post if you hadnt been so precious about what people choose to drive or do with their own cars. I didnt put any words in your mouth at all.

Also, have a look back at how many other replies i've made in this topic so dont flatter yourself.
Translation of my original post:
1. Jag has Aussie flags flying on Australia Day
2. If it was a Commodore the popular conclusion would be “Bogan”
3. Q: As it is a foreign made car what is the popular conclusion?

Out of that you say I’m a Bogan who says “Hurr Durr only Aussie Cars should have Aussie Flags flying from them"....which is anything but what I said.

No, I have absolutely no problem with foreign cars flying Aussie flags....but ‘is there a label for such a beast?’ was my question as I doubt it would be ‘Bogan’

This was meant as light hearted Aussie Day banter....anyway, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had enough of this...so, enjoy the rest of the week-end!

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Yes the LS does surprisingly well for an NA engine but to answer your topic, the 3.3L kia will flog an ss.. because of its turbo.
I would have said: because of the SIZE of its turbo ..... plus all that Monstar said.

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Ok got a list engines, but what do you mean by “match” them?
They are all boosted, the way to match them is using volumetric efficiency to determine effective capacity (vs performance). BMEP is another means, more to the point. But FFS you two can’t seem to get over the fact a small boosted vessel is by no measure more effective at delivering performance than unboosted vessel of same effective capacity.
Eg:
RB30ET i6 @7 PSI (0.5 ATM) = 4500cc
VK45DD v8 @0 PSI = 4500cc
They don’t compare well.

2JZ-GTE i6 @9 PSI (0.6 ATM) = 4836cc
2UR-GSE v8 @0 PSI = 4969cc
They don’t compare well.

BARRA 245T i6 @6 PSI (0.4) = 5752cc
BOSS 315 v8 @0 PSI = 5400
Again, not a favourable comparison.

But of course there is, muppets use the unpressurised capacity all the time. Which is ludicrous.
Compare the capacity using volumetric efficiency (I assume you didn’t read the link) and you at least rule out perceived magic involved.

Just sayin these boosted examples have proven to be reliable for decades.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
An interesting comparison would be a fully loaded LS3 Commodore Vs a Stinger with the same load on a 3000km journey around Aussie.

Now I'm roughly 6'6" and 120kg+(on a good day), both my boys are over 6' and around the 100kg and the little missus, well she's a wee bit smaller than us 3 but we require a car with leg room, lots of leg room and one of the reasons we've been in Commodores for a long time. I think I know which one of the 2 above I'd prefer.....

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
Yes I suspect so!
Before ECUs were able to control continuously variable valve timing, the most efficient way to avoid knock and enjoy scalable performance through the rev range was through supercharging (inc turbo).
Operating an engine at high mechanical compression and expansion from idle without the friction of an external motor (turbine) gets close to the thermodynamic ideal.
In other words why on earth do you need to rely on an external motor for “boost” if you can manage cylinder pressure via ECU software?*
To give a real world example raising the compression and managing combustion phasing with VVT enables instant torque and same BMEP from my little NA L77 as produced by the W1’s LS9 with the 2300 @10.9 psi.
Both happen to share the peak torque number but NA has much longer (broader) delivery plateau. The NA L77 is 6.1 litres vs LS9 effectively 10.63 litres. BTW that’s same as a Barra @22 PSI or Lambda II @32 psi.
Having driven this setup 320k km over the past few years I can demonstrate first hand how a 41% smaller NA engine vs LS9 makes less heat uses less fuel energy for more power, available under all operating conditions. Mainly due to better thermodynamics, also less parasitic, frictional and pumping losses up top, and delivers instantly - 85% max torque under 2k.
*The main reason for forced induction is to comply with emissions requirement within the lifecycle of the engine series. Also easy to sell magic “boost” to wood ducks.

VVT is a waste of time on single cam pushrod engine, this is done correctly when each camshaft inlet/exhuast advancing and retarding independantly of each other not like some tacky aftermarket kit.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
VVT is a waste of time on single cam pushrod engine, this is done correctly when each camshaft inlet/exhuast advancing and retarding independantly of each other not like some tacky aftermarket kit.
Goodo, carry on then. Have a nice day.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Aussie flags on any car is a bit tacky but if people want to show their pride they aren't hurting anyone so who cares.

With the demise of locally built rwd performance cars I think we need to embrace the newcomers such as the Stinger. It may be a Kia but it's helping to keep the performance car industry alive in Australia.