Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
The V8 SS is gone..........I'm just glad I have one :D That's all:p

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Nice try Wheels. But, they're not for me. Not now, not ever.
I'd love to conduct an audit on these mags. Rife with reveiws funded by car companies and staff kickbacks.
Interesting how they get away with faux pas like "the Kia has more torque than the Commodore and you feel it from the get go". No, no it doesn't, it's 60NM less. Then there's the old "power is comparable" Well, maybe. But I'm yet to hear one say, the Kia has 32kw less than the Commodore.
But, he's happy to say the Vdub is "down on power compared to the other two". Implying the others have the same me power.
Just more tabloid drivel.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ They’re describing how it feels to drive, they’re not comparing numbers. Force-feeding does feel like there’s “more torque” when there’s actually not, I suspect it’s just a slingshot-effect feeling as bewst happens.

Staff kickbacks? No, that’s as ridiculous as the Olden Days back when Ford & Holden made cars here, and as each successively released large family car would leapfrog the older opposition, the car mags would pronounce the (obvious) fact that the newer car was better to drive ... and fans of the other brand would cry bias. It was hilarious to see Wheels, Modern Motor, Car being flip-flop accused of bias. :)

I do, however, think that Australian motoring journalists are maybe a bit over-careful about saying Bad Stuff about something they review. They tend to only damn with faint praise, same with American mags (except the Americans don’t seem to understand handling - maybe all roads in the USA are racetrack smooth?); it’s really only the UK ones I’ve seen that’ll brutally accuse a spade of being a spade.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
I like the way when an aspect of something is said to be better than what they own clearly corruption is involved........human nature I guess :)

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Nice try Wheels. But, they're not for me. Not now, not ever.
I'd love to conduct an audit on these mags. Rife with reveiws funded by car companies and staff kickbacks.
Interesting how they get away with faux pas like "the Kia has more torque than the Commodore and you feel it from the get go". No, no it doesn't, it's 60NM less. Then there's the old "power is comparable" Well, maybe. But I'm yet to hear one say, the Kia has 32kw less than the Commodore.
But, he's happy to say the Vdub is "down on power compared to the other two". Implying the others have the same me power.
Just more tabloid drivel.
I think he actually said more TALK because there's been plenty?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I like the way when an aspect of something is said to be better than what they own clearly corruption is involved........human nature I guess :)
Perhaps you should watch mediawatch or the checkout or crikey. I was a magazine publisher for 25 years, sold outdoor, sponsorship and digital as well. Suffice it to say I dealt the game at play.
There’s a lesson in the Naïve, jumping on the popularist bandwagon. We are the bastion of truth and this is our forum.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not the case here. I like many different cars and brands. Old and new. Few can eclipse, or even match the VF2 in all areas though. Name one in the price range? That's an objective assessment. But after hearing and reading enough of this tripe, the lack of objectivity is obvious.
Or take the implied moral high ground and criticise those with what it takes to see through the bias.
I've seen enough ledgers and sat on enough boards to know what goes on behind the scenes.
The Kia is quicker to 100 and 1/4 mile. Undoubtedlty.
Is it better than my stock Motorsport? Not in 100 years.
It has LESS TQ and KW. Irrefutably.
It has an engine and driveline that is yet to be proven.
It's front looks nice. I like it. The rest looks out of proportion to me.
I don't like the interior as a whole. Some nice elements though.
It would be a sh!t tow vehicle.
It sounds about as good as an SV6. Sh!t.
It seems to wallow around a bit on the road and the transmission has been criticised as having no fun factor. Although it seems to get the power down well.
As I said, it's not my kind of car and I will not buy one.
But, I too like to call a spade a spade. It's a damned good effort in the category as a first attempt. The Euro's and high end Jap's may well have to lift their game if the Korean's continue in this space.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Will a Kia Stinger really flog an SS?
By the sound of the wheels review above, it seems the answer is “yes”.
Stinger: 0-100 = 4.9 seconds, 400m = 13.1 @ 175.9 Kph.
SS:0-100 = 5.4 seconds, 400m = 13.5 @ 173.2 Kph.

Would have been nice to hear about fuel use when flogging both ;)
Did I buy the stinger, no. I bought my MSE.

What is really annoying about these reviews, is the focus seems biased in pushing an industry view and always seem to spout the bullshit ripoff prices that SS’s were selling for in their last year (rather than highlighting the mid 2016 prices where an SSV-R could be had for $54k, that’s $10k less than the Stinger). Now you can likely buy an MSE for less than a Stinger and likely an SSV-R (if you can find one) for much less still.

These V8’s will be missed.

Pity the review didn’t include fuel use for, supposedly equal used of, each vehicle during the review period. Would have been interesting to read how angry use of V8 compares to angry use of V6TT o_O

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
^ They’re describing how it feels to drive, they’re not comparing numbers. Force-feeding does feel like there’s “more torque” when there’s actually not, I suspect it’s just a slingshot-effect feeling as bewst happens.

Staff kickbacks? No, that’s as ridiculous as the Olden Days back when Ford & Holden made cars here, and as each successively released large family car would leapfrog the older opposition, the car mags would pronounce the (obvious) fact that the newer car was better to drive ... and fans of the other brand would cry bias. It was hilarious to see Wheels, Modern Motor, Car being flip-flop accused of bias. :)

I do, however, think that Australian motoring journalists are maybe a bit over-careful about saying Bad Stuff about something they review. They tend to only damn with faint praise, same with American mags (except the Americans don’t seem to understand handling - maybe all roads in the USA are racetrack smooth?); it’s really only the UK ones I’ve seen that’ll brutally accuse a spade of being a spade.
Maybe that's what he meant Forg. I don't beleive so but. If so though, that's what he should have said. He didn't and he knows it has less tq. He said it has "more torque than the Commodore". It doesn't. It has significantly less. Blatantly wrong, with intent. When making emphatic factual statements, they should ensure they are factually correct, not the opposite. Interesting the editors miss these faux pas too eh?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Will a Kia Stinger really flog an SS?
By the sound of the wheels review above, it seems the answer is “yes”.
Stinger: 0-100 = 4.9 seconds, 400m = 13.1 @ 175.9 Kph.
SS:0-100 = 5.4 seconds, 400m = 13.5 @ 173.2 Kph.

Would have been nice to hear about fuel use when flogging both ;)
Did I buy the stinger, no. I bought my MSE.

What is really annoying about these reviews, is the focus seems biased in pushing an industry view and always seem to spout the bullshit ripoff prices that SS’s were selling for in their last year (rather than highlighting the mid 2016 prices where an SSV-R could be had for $54k, that’s $10k less than the Stinger). Now you can likely buy an MSE for less than a Stinger and likely an SSV-R (if you can find one) for much less still.

These V8’s will be missed.

Pity the review didn’t include fuel use for, supposedly equal used of, each vehicle during the review period. Would have been interesting to read how angry use of V8 compares to angry use of V6TT o_O
Out of interest Skylarker, the 2.0L Turbo VXR Astra used more fuel Mel to Wga than my Redline. A lot more. I drove with sprit. But, considering the weight difference, that's appaulling. Turbo's certainly gulp it under boost. Of couse, for the most part, they're off boost.