Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was following a grey liftback home from work for a few minutes tonight.

Yes it was dark, but it didn't look too bad from the rear. First one of those I have seen on the road.

Certainly looked better than the fugly wagon I saw the other week.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Here’s some with a couple of tweaks - They look alright to me

That first photo makes it look like the 1966 Batmobile !

It's amazing what a bit of photography can do to set the scene while the second shot just looks like every other bucket on the road doesn't it ?

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
That first photo makes it look like the 1966 Batmobile !

It's amazing what a bit of photography can do to set the scene while the second shot just looks like every other bucket on the road doesn't it ?

I think the first one looks pretty neat.

The second pic is dumped a bit too much for my liking but still I like the general look. I know a lot of people that would say all the past commodores all look like every other commodore on the road so each to their own I guess :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From the front on it looks ok, but the side shot and back looks average at best.

ausmac91

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Maloo
The front angle is smack on for it to look it's best takes away that narrow look of the front, very specific angles it looks ok. Darkness is a cheat :) The other pic looks like a JDM car. Might sell a few cars though with a few being modded. Wheels suit it nicely must say. Blanced seeing the Commodore badge on the back...having difficulty adjusting to that!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well, I'm stuffed if I can understand why so many dislike the design. To me, the styling looks like a natural progression from the VF, which is just a facelifted 2006 design.

Would there be such outrage if the car was still built here rather than imported? And for those who think the VF should have continued in production, how much longer could they have kept the basic VE structure going before it truly became outdated? For all the changes wrought in the VF, the car was getting old, though it still looked pretty contemporary.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Whether you like a particular style is a very personal matter I guess and those who like the ZB look will potentially buy. For me personally the VE is still one of the best looking cars on the road, the VF was still good but a bit of a backward step and The ZB is plain ugly.

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Well, I'm stuffed if I can understand why so many dislike the design. To me, the styling looks like a natural progression from the VF, which is just a facelifted 2006 design.

Would there be such outrage if the car was still built here rather than imported? And for those who think the VF should have continued in production, how much longer could they have kept the basic VE structure going before it truly became outdated? For all the changes wrought in the VF, the car was getting old, though it still looked pretty contemporary.

Agreed mate. I think there is a lot of anger that they dropped the V8 which is fair enough but big engines will just become more and more of a thing of the past - a thing that enthusiasts will have on classics and the rest of the world buys trendy looking euro looking cars with gadgets.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agreed mate. I think there is a lot of anger that they dropped the V8 which is fair enough but big engines will just become more and more of a thing of the past - a thing that enthusiasts will have on classics and the rest of the world buys trendy looking euro looking cars with gadgets.

Not real sure about that, new Chrysler or now made by Fiat, Jeeps have 6.4L Hemi's in them and everyday you see them on the road sometimes three or four a day in Launceston and we are not a big city by any means. Only ZB's I have seen are in the car yard.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Not real sure about that, new Chrysler or now made by Fiat, Jeeps have 6.4L Hemi's in them and everyday you see them on the road sometimes three or four a day in Launceston and we are not a big city by any means. Only ZB's I have seen are in the car yard.
The Chryslers have been on the market for quite a few years now. It's probably not a fair comparison. The problem with the Commodore is that it's been released at a time when the interest in mid to large sized sedans has dropped to a much smaller percentage of the overall market and there are already well established cars such as the Camry, Mazda 6, Liberty and numerous Euros, fighting for a share of that diminishing market. To succeed, the Commodore had to be absolutely better than all of them and it isn't. Holden's low-key marketing, and their stupid emphasis at start-up that you could own a Commodore different to what your father owned, was a bit stupid too.