Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 10

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Why is a start menu NEEDED? Why can't you find things easily without one?

In reality it isn't , you can customise settings on the start up menu , to suit yourself just like windows 7 I'm going to reserve judgement when I download and have used it 

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Really?

Can of worms mate and not gonna get into a debate over it.

Fair enough but I'm generally curious. Because I don't know how it can be easier to say open Word, than from in ANY app at ANY time, pressing the Windows key on the keyboard, typing word [Enter]. And it really goes for everything, as long as you know the name of what you want to open... You don't even need to type the full thing. Calculator for example, at any time: Windows key "calc" [Enter]. And if there's multiple options for something you can still point and click on the one you want.

Hence generally being curious about how there can be an easier way to find things?

But is the answer to make something worse (Start Screen)??

Start screen makes it easier imo. I don't use any tiles or icons on it, but from it I just start typing what I want to open.

I'm not saying everyone has to do that, or that it has to suit everyone, but I am amazed that there's a "simpler" way in any previous version of Windows. Regular items are pinned to the task bar and other frequent items are desktop shortcuts.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Fair enough but I'm generally curious. Because I don't know how it can be easier to say open Word, than from in ANY app at ANY time, pressing the Windows key on the keyboard, typing word [Enter]. And it really goes for everything, as long as you know the name of what you want to open... You don't even need to type the full thing. Calculator for example, at any time: Windows key "calc" [Enter]. And if there's multiple options for something you can still point and click on the one you want.

Hence generally being curious about how there can be an easier way to find things?

Start screen makes it easier imo. I don't use any tiles or icons on it, but from it I just start typing what I want to open.

I'm not saying everyone has to do that, or that it has to suit everyone, but I am amazed that there's a "simpler" way in any previous version of Windows. Regular items are pinned to the task bar and other frequent items are desktop shortcuts.

What's easier? A start menu lol

The way you mention is only good if you know exactly what ya after.
Guarantee a comp with numerous installed programs on computer with sub categories you won't be doing what ya do.

My organisation refuse to install as do many others

In fact, preference in conversation for work pc ease of use is Vista over win 8

And also begs to ask, why do you think they brought back a start menu? For shits and giggles? No

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

I use the search box at the bottom of the start menu to achieve the same thing - why do I need a limited full screen start menu instead?

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
I'm back to 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 after four days of 10 - I liked some of 10, some of it was meh and some of it was 'yeah, I'll probably get used to it', but the reason I changed back was that Real Racing 3 (through Bluestacks Android emulator) wasn't behaving nicely. Tilt steering had developed a dead-band around centre which made playing the game smoothly a challenge.
When I changed back to 8.1 it all came good again.
Waiting for the offer to try 10 on my desk top, where playing games isn't an issue.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm back to 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 after four days of 10 - I liked some of 10, some of it was meh and some of it was 'yeah, I'll probably get used to it', but the reason I changed back was that Real Racing 3 (through Bluestacks Android emulator) wasn't behaving nicely. Tilt steering had developed a dead-band around centre which made playing the game smoothly a challenge.
When I changed back to 8.1 it all came good again.
Waiting for the offer to try 10 on my desk top, where playing games isn't an issue.

In case you needed it
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583?wa=wsignin1.0&s=myce

Also, check in windows updates.
on Win7 was a offer for it there also.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
And also begs to ask, why do you think they brought back a start menu? For shits and giggles?

To appease the masses who refused to accept that no start menu is actually MORE efficient. People had been conditioned for so long that they simply refused to see the benefits.

Doesn't matter how many things you have installed, and you don't have to know exactly what you want. You will find what you want, right from the start screen, simpler and faster than a start menu or the search box in the start menu. The search box at the bottom of the start menus is not the same as it doesn't suggest options from anywhere on the computer from the first letter you type.

But each to their own. I get that. I simply am never going to criticise something and say it's stupid simply because I don't understand how it's designed to work.

Actually one MAJOR improvement that they did get wrong in Windows 8 and 8.1 is that in Windows 10, the apps are properly windowed and not forced to full screen.