Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

windows vista

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Vista is based on the Server 2003 codebase, not the XP codebase (<3) and there's a lot of improvements, obviously not just to the themes but security, for gaming, multimedia enthusiasts, sure some of this crap I won't use (lol @ WMP 11) but directx 10 out of the box is nice if a game ever comes out that uses it and I upgrade my graphics card again..

Actually here's a whole list of new features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

And here's a list of software that's compatible: http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

Me myself encountered troubles with a few things
RC1/2 - Nero doesn't work - don't use that bloated crap anymore and happy about switching (latest works)
RC1/2/RTM - Bluetooth dongle doesn't work at all (waiting for the company to release the vista comp. version of bluesoleil - I just use a VMWare virtual machine of 2003 for this
RC1/2/RTM - eBay Turbo Lister is broken forever (needs the IE 6 rendering engine.. where's IE 6? Not included!) (using VMWare for that too)
RC1/2/RTM - VLC Media Player doesn't display properly - use the opengl output module instead (though activates 3D mode on the graphics card which causes the fan to speed up)

Insane_Metal_Man_666

METAL UP THE ARSE !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
HAS A BLACK VZ SV6 NOW !!!
Vista Is A Hogg !!!!

Hey There,:thumbsup:

I have downloaded the Beta Of Windows Vista, I thought it was a decent Windows.

This My Current PC Specs as well.:yeah:

AMD 64Bit 3200
1GB Corsair Ram
ABIT Motherboard
250GB HD
300GB HD
256 MB Videocard

To be honest my specs are somewhat ok, But running vista is a hog in everything i ended up formatting the PC and putting XP back on it.:bang:

XP is so much more stable at the moment compared to Vista

I will only upgrade to Vista when i get a new machine with atleast 2GB of Ram

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey There,:thumbsup:

I have downloaded the Beta Of Windows Vista, I thought it was a decent Windows.

This My Current PC Specs as well.:yeah:

AMD 64Bit 3200
1GB Corsair Ram
ABIT Motherboard
250GB HD
300GB HD
256 MB Videocard

To be honest my specs are somewhat ok, But running vista is a hog in everything i ended up formatting the PC and putting XP back on it.:bang:

XP is so much more stable at the moment compared to Vista

I will only upgrade to Vista when i get a new machine with atleast 2GB of Ram

Of coarse XP is going to be more stable than a beta version of Vista :p I've got similar specs and it runs perfectly fine for me, you probably had a build with notorious memory leaks or couldn't get adequate drivers for your hardware. Here's me:

AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core CPU
1GB DDR 667 RAM (Dual Channeled)
nVIDIA 7900GS 256MB PCI-E Graphics
120GB Seagate Barracuda IDE Primary Hard Disk

And with that scored:

CPU: 4.8
RAM: 4.5
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.8
Hard Drive: 5.1

I need more RAM :cry:then new CPU, then new hard drive and it's a never ending battle.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
Hey everyone,
just had an info session for work on windows vista tonight.

Wow, what a waste of money. starting at something like $400 for home premium, all you basically get is windows xp with some visual bling and some extra features aimed at people who are completely computer illiterate. Maybe there will be some better features in the $850 ultimate edition? Not to mention microsoft pimping their new firewall anti spam anti phising program which instead of being bundled with vista is an extra $100 on top of it. Good on microsoft, way to have a monopoly on the world.:bow:

for that exact reason i plan to just download it. im not paying for their monopoly. not tlike they are exactly broke or going bust

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
I am running XP and Ubuntu on my system now, not the best system, i REALLY liked ubuntu compared to windows BUT i just wasnt a fan of how hard it was to find decent software, and i couldnt get my wireless to work on it at all, but i found it ran a lot better and the net loaded a lot quicker etc, but im kinda back to windows now cause dont wanna run a cable for internet i want wireless working and couldnt find any decent p2p programs that actually worked, and a lot of other programs i couldnt find any replacements

pendulum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore (50th An.), Holden Cruze CDX Diesel
Meh, I'm over Windows Vista, it looks shiny, but it's too slow for my tastes :eek: I'm sticking with either the Server Edition of it or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, I mean I'm happy with 2003... so... why not?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
The OS is only as good as the user, me personally I'm using XP on a number of machines and I can think of 1 instance where I've had to format a machine because of virus or spyware infection.

Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse, they are all open same :p I'm using Ubuntu Server as a server obviously and Suse as a desktop when windows isn't running. It's not all what's it's cracked up to me, sure if your the average joe blow using it for web browsing, school projects your going to be fine but if your like need and need certainly functionality which at this stage linux doesn't have your kind of stuck.

I will say though it is getting better and better all the time to back when I first dabbled with it back around the RedHat 6.2 days.

Anyways back on track, Vista isn't too badly priced, well in comparison to the pricing I've heard recently anyway.

Home Basic
Windows Vista CD 32bit $138.60
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $134.20
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $135.30

Home Premium
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $169.40
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $170.50

Business
Windows Vista CD 32bit $217.80
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $213.40
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $215.60

Ultimate
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $289.30
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $289.30

No I'm not going to buy it for anyone at that price :) but it gives you an indication of how much you should be paying.

I'll get it heaps cheaper than that, I have contacts :D and NO I don't mean a cracked copy, but a genuinely purchased copy.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Microsoft can kiss my :my:

I'll stick with Mac OS.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i have the rc1 beta vista version, found it to be pretty sloppy, not compatible with alot of programs ie office 2000 professional, alot of missing drivers, which it wont install cause there not compatible etc etc, i will reserve my full judgment of it when i use the real thing as thing was only a trial version

needless to say i reformatted my harddrive and installed xp again within a few hours

Last edited:

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
i have the 9c1 beta vista version, found it to be pretty sloppy, not compatible with alot of programs ie office 2000 professional, alot of missing drivers, which it wont install cause there not compatible etc etc, i will reserve my full judgment of it when i use the real thing as thing was only a trial version

needless to say i reformatted my harddrive and installed xp again within a few hours

I have the same version of vista, (release candidate 1), it wouldn't detect my modem so i have no net access, was off my system within 1 hour of being installed. However, i realise this was an early version and am willing to fork out my $220 (ish) on an OEM version of Vista Business.

I just cant be stuffed trying to get around all the anti-piracy bull**** Microsoft put in these days, back when i was younger $200 was a lot of money, now i dont consider it unreasonable for ease of use. The retail versions however... you'd have to be nuts to buy them