Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless CarPlay / android auto

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I installed Apple car play unit which is mentioned today on my SS. The issue I have is it uses Blue tooth audio which I thought would switch over to Wifi. Other than that, It works fine. Just need to fine tune it and find a place to the box that will sit under the passenger side of the footwell.

I have attached pics. My son took over installing it.
View attachment 264563View attachment 264564View attachment 264565View attachment 264566View attachment 264567View attachment 264568View attachment 264569View attachment 264570View attachment 264571View attachment 264572
Thanks for the pics, I discovered a rattle in the dash today...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
@Anthony121 did u enable driving radar if not this is needed to get the unit to display the parking sensors front and rear.
I haven't enabled anything and the sensors still worked. I'll check to see if the car comes up for the front sensors. I think they did because my son walked in front of the car. The rear camera works.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The issue I have is it uses Blue tooth audio which I thought would switch over to Wifi

it will always use bluetooth for audio to the mylink, the mylink has no wifi connection to switch to.

the connection between the phone and the module you installed should use a mixture of bluetooth and wifi but the audio to the mylink will always be over bluetooth.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
it will always use bluetooth for audio to the mylink, the mylink has no wifi connection to switch to.

the connection between the phone and the module you installed should use a mixture of bluetooth and wifi but the audio to the mylink will always be over bluetooth.
Should it use bluetooth audio from the carplay unit or from the mylink?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Should it use bluetooth audio from the carplay unit or from the mylink?

the only way they can pipe the audio from the carplay module to the mylink is to do it over bluetooth.
older modules like the one kayhan sells used the aux input but the series 2 vf does not have that factory enabled so they just do it over bluetooth.

by doing it that way you still have full factory volume control and the carplay module does not need to have an amplifier for the speakers because the mylink has all of that.
the downside is a reduced quality audio stream.

you should see the mylink is set to bluetooth audio when the carplay module is making noise.

wireless carplay or android auto should have the phone first connect to bluetooth and then connect using wifi for the data stream but this is only from the phone to the carplay module

this should give you and idea.

PHONE > (BT+WIFI) > CARPLAYMODULE > (BT) > MYLINK

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

24k.lach

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 Black
the only way they can pipe the audio from the carplay module to the mylink is to do it over bluetooth.
older modules like the one kayhan sells used the aux input but the series 2 vf does not have that factory enabled so they just do it over bluetooth.

by doing it that way you still have full factory volume control and the carplay module does not need to have an amplifier for the speakers because the mylink has all of that.
the downside is a reduced quality audio stream.

you should see the mylink is set to bluetooth audio when the carplay module is making noise.

wireless carplay or android auto should have the phone first connect to bluetooth and then connect using wifi for the data stream but this is only from the phone to the carplay module

this should give you and idea.

PHONE > (BT+WIFI) > CARPLAYMODULE > (BT) > MYLINK
thank you for this, that's how me and my father thought it would be (anthony121) but we cannot figure out how to connect the two together because u cannot select a device on mylink to connect to, nor can u select a device on the CarPlay unit to connect to. the workaround we've been using is disabling any audio from the CarPlay and just connecting the phone to mylink bluetooth so it goes something like this.
PHONE > (BT+WIFI) > CARPLAYMODULE
PHONE > (BT) > MYLINK

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
thank you for this, that's how me and my father thought it would be (anthony121) but we cannot figure out how to connect the two together because u cannot select a device on mylink to connect to, nor can u select a device on the CarPlay unit to connect to. the workaround we've been using is disabling any audio from the CarPlay and just connecting the phone to mylink bluetooth so it goes something like this.
PHONE > (BT+WIFI) > CARPLAYMODULE
PHONE > (BT) > MYLINK

i have not played around with the specific module but there should be bluetooth settings in the module where you can put the module into discovery mode(visible to other devices).
you would then switch to the mylink menu and look for bluetooth devices and the module should show up and you pair it.

you would leave the mylink input source on bluetooth audio and then switch back to the module and pair your phone to the module.