Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring reverse camera

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
Taz It probably doesn,t help that you eat your breakfast ,lunch and tea with it oh and dont forget stirring and heating your coffee at the same time good idea that it is though!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Totally get it... I'm always wielding a tired and worn out one, usually from being jammed into too many tight places it shouldn't be.
Tas, I know you're young and naive, but you have to be careful what you post here mate, as it can be taken the wrong way.

(Sarcastic comment)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Call me young again.... I like it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thank you....

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK lets call u "Junior"

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Don't get cocky sunshine.

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry my bad hahahahahaha

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
Hey guys,
Just tried to install one of these today and it's completely done my head in.
When I bought my head unit (Sony XAV-63) it had one of the hassle cameras that came free, but didn't come with instructions....anyway, the head unit has a reverse input, so sent what I think is the trigger wire (red one from the male RCA) to the back of the head unit using about 6m of wire. Had to use a joiner plus a MxM RCA cable to join it to the female end coming off the camera.
The camera end had two plugs: a female yellow RCA and a red strange looking plug. Not an RCA but I guess it presented like one. The kit also had a black plug with a red and a black wire. The black plug fitted perfectly into the red one, so I assume that's where it goes.
From what I've read so far, I can splice the red wire (of the black plug, camera end) into the green wire on the reverse tail light, and the black wire (off the black plug, camera end) into the other wire onto the reverse tail light.....
And provided that I have got the RCA in the right input at the head unit, it should all work, right? Well, for whatever reason, it's not. I had my key switched to ON and put the car into reverse and the screen said 'no video input'. Frustrating...spent a good 4 hours on it today!
Any idea where I could have gone wrong?
Oh one other thing: I had to cut the RCA cord from the camera end just to get it through the grommet at the top of the tailgate....i just simply re-twisted the fine wiring together and re-twisted the centre wire separately. Would this still work?
Thanks in advance, hope you can help. Cheers