Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring reverse lights after manual conversion

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Hello all,

I have completed a manual conversion on my series 3 VS ute, I have put a T5 gearbox in it and am running a manual computer with a manual loom. Everything is working perfectly but the reverse lights, which I have put on a separate switch at the moment but rego is due so I have to get it sorted.

I'm pretty certain from my research that in an auto the reverse lights run off the BCM correct? and obviously I can just run 2 wires down through the floor plate to the reverse switch on the gearbox, but I was hoping to connect the pink and green reverse wires from the old auto selector to the pink and green reverse wires on the manual loom so it has a somewhat factory look to it.

Can anyone give me an idea on which pins the pink and green reverse wires from the loom connect up to at the computer? and can I cut and join them to the old auto ones without it causing any issues somewhere else in the system?

Cheers

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Anyone at all? I just need to know where the 2 reverse switch wires on the manual loom from the gearbox go too on the computer end? Do they go into the little white body loom plug? Or do they go to one of the computer plugs?

Cheers

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
So i have found on the little white plug that goes to the BCM under the passenger side dash there is a green wire that runs in on the PCM side but there is nothing on the BCM side for it to connect with?

If i connect up the green wire from my pink and green reverse light wires at the old auto switch will that make the reverse lights work off the factory manual wiring?

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey mate if you have the manual wiring harness there should of been a reverse plug on there already that goes straight to the gearbox. Also there is the white 4pin plug where the trans shifter switch was, you need to bridge the grey and blue/grey wires.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
From what i researched, the reverse lights run through the BCM loom? When i put the manual loom in the wiring on the manual loom doesn't link to up to the original auto reverse light set up. Most people just run the wires from the auto selector down through the floor plate to the reverse light switch on the gearbox. I was hoping to link the green and pink reverse light wires from the old auto selector plug to the ones on the manual loom to have a more factory looking set up, but i don't wanna go hacking the manual loom until i can find out which ones are the right wires.

I have a green one that goes to the little white BCM loom plug under the passenger side dash that doesn't connect to anything on the BCM loom side of the plug which i think might be the green side of the reverse switch from the gearbox, but i don't know which one is the pink side of the reverse switch.

Sorry if all my text doesn't make alot of sense, its hard trying to explain but basically the manual loom reverse light wires dont link to the original auto wiring and i wanna know if i can connect them up so i don't have to run the wires down through the floor plate.

Cheers

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok, you got the 4pin plug for auto (where the cig lighter is), is there a 3pin plug near that. The 3pin plug should have blue, blue/white and black. Now the green wire out of the 4pin plug connects to the blue wire on the 3pin plug which runs back to a 9pin plug (white) near the firewall on the passenger side under the dash. From there connects to the green wire for the reverse. Now for the pink wire it runs from the switch on the gearbox to that 9pin plug, it connects a pink/black wire (but i dont know where it goes from there as its wrapped in tape). I will try and chase it back to its origin in the morning.

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
And i forgot to say, the pink/black wire from 9pin plug runs up inbehind the dash. So I'm thinking it might go to bcm?

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It says on one wiring diagram that there is a pink/black wire that goes to the bcm (low series). Its pinout 19 and its ignition power. It sort of makes sense that it would run to bcm (ignition pinout), cause it does need power. By the way what level cluster do you have, because i have a level 3 cluster. I think they are very similar just a few more wires. Hope you get it sorted out mate.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Its just a 99 series 3 base pack ute so it has the level 2 cluster in it. I think you're right, its the same but you have more wires to make the trip computer work.

Cheers mate, thank you for the help