Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Workshop Manual or Assistance

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Has anyone managed to get their hands on a workshop manual?

My Calais-V has developed another %#&* annoying rattle in the dash. From the sounds of it I suspect it is a loose screw somewhere in the area above and behind the instrument cluster or between it and the heads up display (so a screw in either of these is the most likely culprit). I need some instructions on how to remove the plastics around the heads up display and the instrument cluster so that I can check/tighten all of the screws.

Thanks

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Are we talking VF or ZB here ?

I'm sure no after market workshop manual for ZB will be available for quite some time. At this stage it's see your Holden Dealer and let them bastardise it while it's still under warranty.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
As it stands the tossers at one dealership have busted the cowling for the HeadsUp display (and they claim they didn't but it clearly looks to me like they jemmied it off with a screwdriver and busted all the little black legs off of it - it now sits about 2mm off of the dash and you can lift and slide it out with your hand... f*^kers). Two other $tealerships told me that as the car has passed its 3000km stage I would have to pay over $105 per hour for them to track it down.

So... after trying thtee places to find the rattle, none have and one of them has screwed things so bad that in order for me to put it right I now need to find out the part number for a new HUD cowling and replace that myself.

Hence why I want the pages from the workshop manual that would allow me to remove and (properly) replace the HUD cowling and remove and refit the instrument cluster.

I know that in America thy have to give people in some states access to the workshop manual (under the Right to repair law). Since the Commodore (Insignidore) is sold as a Buick Regal GS I was hoping some clever person on here might have gotten their mitts on one... or that some nice Holden person would take pity and pm me the pages.

Oh well. I tried

Any idea what the cowling part number is... since I have to replace it now anyhow?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think you'll find anyone that has a more mechanical inkling or major Commodore interest buying a ZB at this stage as it will just be fleet buyers replacing their VF fleet cars with something new to gain the best depreciation at tax time and those sort of people merely take their cars back to the dealerships. I don't even think that the dealerships have really been updated with the printed technical paper work to do anything on a ZB. I'd strongly feel that it's all now online within HSPO just like it is for spare parts, thus no more hard copy parts books like the days of VL and backwards. They just go online within their network and enter their dealer number and then gain any info they require. It's been like that for a long time.

I'd say your on the right track with looking within the USA or even Europe, but nothing in Australia that's for sure. It would be great if we had some of these "right to repair" laws in place over here.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Has anyone managed to get their hands on a workshop manual?

My Calais-V has developed another %#&* annoying rattle in the dash. From the sounds of it I suspect it is a loose screw somewhere in the area above and behind the instrument cluster or between it and the heads up display (so a screw in either of these is the most likely culprit). I need some instructions on how to remove the plastics around the heads up display and the instrument cluster so that I can check/tighten all of the screws.

Thanks
try the AC Delco site where (GM and Holden now make all their service manuals available on line)

VE and Vf are there (full versions)... from memory $20 for 3 days use of it

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It would be great if we had some of these "right to repair" laws in place over here.

I believe this concept is der consideation by the ACCC as part oof a greater investgatin into manufacturer / dealler activities.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Hence why I want the pages from the workshop manual that would allow me to remove and (properly) replace the HUD cowling and remove and refit the instrument cluster.

I know that in America thy have to give people in some states access to the workshop manual (under the Right to repair law). Since the Commodore (Insignidore) is sold as a Buick Regal GS I was hoping some clever person on here might have gotten their mitts on one... or that some nice Holden person would take pity and pm me the pages.
There's a site called tradebit.com, where people sell workshop manuals for $20 or so ... I looked for Opel Insignia, but they only have the A model, not the current on which the ZB is based.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Hang on, are you saying that a brand new car has no warranty for rattles after 3000 kms?
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard and can't be right. I'd look further into that and I'd also give them hell about the heads up display.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hang on, are you saying that a brand new car has no warranty for rattles after 3000 kms?
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard and can't be right. I'd look further into that and I'd also give them hell about the heads up display.

I'll second the above statement, I'd be giving that dealership the heads up that you're going to contact Holden themselves and they sort it to be corrected. Currently they want the least amount of negative press with the ZB.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
What really sucks is that the dealerships don't give a rats... and it seems that it is in all of the Calais/Calais-V and VXR models. I drove a loaner with only 1800kms on the clock... it also rattled incessantly.

Note:
Ken Gratton at Motoring talks of "the intermittent rattle in the dash" in his white Calais-V V6.

David McCowan at Drive says his Calais 2lt Turbo test mule had "rattles near the instrument binnacle joined a low-frequency vibration at high speed that became a source of irritation on long drives".

Ken Gratton was sent a separate VXR to test against a stinger. He says the VXR had "an instrument panel rattle of its own – the same one heard in every ZB Commodore tested to date by motoring.com.au."

Jez Spinks at Car Advice says "a persistent rattle from the right side of the dash pointed to another example of imperfect fit and finish we’ve experienced in the new model."

Kez Casey followed that up with a review of the Calais-V Wagon saying "rattles revealed themselves in both B-pillars, the steering column, the front passenger seat, multiple places in the panoramic roof, and the cargo bay".

Other reviewers say "I have driven several ZBs and all have had major rattles/buzzes from the dash"

It seems the curse that was Opel (the Insignia A was always derided for it's rubbish fitment and poor build quality) strikes again.

I think I'll just wait 18-24 months and trade mine in on one of the new v6 3.6lt SUVs