Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wow! No Spare Wheel!

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
So I have this puncture repair and inflation system and no spare. Not even a space saver. That's probably OK for around town...

But I think I should get a full sized spare and tyre for long trips.

Thoughts?

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i like a full sized matching spare just in case i gutter rash one.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
This is a tough question that could stump even the smartest of people on here!

After much consideration, research and sleepless nights I have come to the conclusion that purchasing a tyre in your situation could greatly assist you in your 2012 goals of staying on the road.

Good luck and please keep us updated

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Yeah for peace of mind on a long trip I'd want one.
Wreckers yard would be where I'd hunt for a wheel and fit my own new tyre.

Disapointing they don't come with a spare anymore.
You'd think twice about helping a damsel in distress with a flat :help: after she hands you a tyre repair kit

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
+1 for Rusty's answer. I've always gone full size spare. Don't have to worry about a flat on holidays or super careful driving on a completely different or sub-standard tyre. No worries if it takes a while before you can get a new tyre. But I'm a cheap bastard and get the cheapest same size wheel and as I usually have directional tyres I also put a slightly cheaper tyre on too (but not crap). After all how'd you go if you got a flat on easter monday 1000km from home just as you leave for home? I bought my last tyres on a 25% off or 4 for the price of 3 type deal, so really the full size spare cost nothing if there was no sale - but that was lucky timing the ones I wanted were on sale.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
$400 for just the rim from Holden!

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
$400 for just the rim from Holden!
1XVE steel rim $42 from Holden
1X second hand 225/60/16 tyre $90

No one is stupid enough the buy a new alloy rim from Holden. 225/60/16 gives you the same overall diameter as the wheels and tyres you've got

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Nah, stuff Holden rims for a spare when they charge that. I just told the bloke when I was getting tyres to find the cheapest alloy the same size & didn't care what it looked like. Can't remember price but it wasn't as cheap as showbags' idea. 2nd hand isn't a bad idea either though, you're only using it when you have to and not leaving it on. I think I actually may have just gotten them to put one of my worn tyres on it as they were still legal and didn't need replacing.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I stupidly didnt get a full size alloy spare when I bought my car, it came with the puncture repair kit as standard, so I just bought a second hand wheel from the wreckers ($50), has about 50% tread on it, it'll do for now, also had to get a jack ($10 out of a VE Omega), if you didn't get a spare wheel, you probably didn't get a jack either.

Problem is the standard steel rim wont fit on the front of mine cos of the brembo brake calipers, so if I get a flat on the front I will have to swap a wheel from the back to it and put the spare on the back.

I am considering buying a set of last years SSV Redline rims with tyres, $1600 for a set of 5 brand new, considering a full set of rubber is close to that anyway, but I'll have 5 spares lol.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
100m walk to the local Bridgestone Tyre Centre and surprise surprise they had a second hand 16 inch VE steely sitting there. Going to chuck a new tyre on it and give it to me for $125. Same rolling diameter and peace of mind highway driving without the speed restrictions of a space saver or puncture repair kit.

:D