Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WTF-SIX] VSII 6 Speed Manual Supercharged 4.2 Litre

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
This kid is crazy!
Make it a turbo'd super charged engine for shits and gigs?

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Bout time for turbo power! Haha borgwarner for the win! I got a s363 for the 2j I'm puttin in my vt was thinkin s366 put bit big for a 3.0l, should be sweet on urs but!

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Dan you're off your chops, nice work with picking up the turbo too!

Haha cheers mate, we will have to see how this goes! Yeah it was waaay too good a deal to pass up, I think what I picked up was worth a bit more than 4k and got it for a little more than 2k so cheering!

This kid is crazy!
Make it a turbo'd super charged engine for shits and gigs?

Lol we will see mate, not really sure what to expect but hope its good!

Yeah twincharged was something I researched quite a while ago, in theory it would be super easy to leave the stock pulley on the M90 and run a conservatively sized turbo and make shitloads of torque at bugger all rpm, but getting it to all work well together would be a bit of a mission. I think these turbo manifolds would interfere with the L67 coolant pipe up the back unfortunately too.

Regardless, the modified ecotec LIM has already been installed...

Bout time for turbo power! Haha borgwarner for the win! I got a s363 for the 2j I'm puttin in my vt was thinkin s366 put bit big for a 3.0l, should be sweet on urs but!

Yeah mate its been something I've wanted to do for a very long time so its good to finally get somewhere on realising it! Wouldve been too good to be true to have a BB snail in the deal I got im definitely willing to see what the S366 can do! Had much experience with BW turbos at all? Wow the 2j vt project sounds interesting! Youtube tells me the BW turbos have quite a unique sound on spool-up! Yeah i'm hoping the 366 isn't too big/laggy especially with the manual behind it. Time will tell!

Anyways continuing the catch-up...

Cruised it to Bathurst late October, here's a pic! Last cruise it went on with the L67 in it.

So now it was November and I was keen on getting the turbo conversion done in time for powercruise in feb. Before the L67 came out I was keen to get a power and torque figure, until this point i had only got power readings. So on the mainline dyno it went...

... and made 286rwhp or 213rwkw which i was impressed by just because it was a mainline! From all angles i was told not to expect as good a reading as a dynamics dyno which is all it had been on previously! Anyway i was particularly keen to see the torque, 433ftlb which equates to 587Nm. This was at 100km/h road speed which in 4th gear is somewhere in the 2,xxx rpm range. Also of interest, peak torque was achieved at just 8.5psi despite peak power being right at the top at 10.5psi.

One last opportunity to get to the drags before L67 outage, was a Wednesday night and Haydz lent me his drag slicks to try!

I was very flustered that night, busting my ass to get there after work. Did one run on street tyres to make sure all was good, then got 3 on the slicks. I couldn't concentrate well enough to improve on the previous 12.9, 3 runs wasn't enough for me to adjust to the insane grip the slicks have off the line, and my foot flew off the clutch too quickly and it bogged down a bit much. Once again the last run of the night was the best, netting a PB 60 foot time of 1.921 with a 13.058 1/4 mile. Would've been awesome to crack a 1.8 60 footer but maybe next time!

Anyway the time had come to yank the motor out and get cracking on the conversion (despite not having all the parts to do it yet!). This was the last engine bay pic before it came out...

... and so it was removed along with the box, and that same afternoon we began pulling the topend off. While i was here, just had a look under the rocker covers to make sure all is well!

After that, we test fitted the turbo manifolds to ensure clearance, particularly around the gearbox as they weren't designed to fit with a T56 up the back. Sure enough, the passenger side of the crossover wouldn't clear the gearbox so that had to be modded with a grinder lol! Nothing overly dramatic, ended up deleting one bellhousing bolt but otherwise didn't interfere with dowels or anything else so that was good. Here is a test install pic which clears the crossover but before the grinding work was tidied up/finished off

and here is one up front, just showing how it fits

Along the way here, just collecting bits as i could!

Bought a brand new GFB Respons BOV for $200

Got a 4.21" V-band clamp and 3.5" pipe to start off the dump

Mace 25mm manifold insulator and plenum spacers

TTT Performance solid engine mount

And also bought and modified an early falcon alloy diff cover which will go on later.

Anyway back to top end prep.

Lucky and unluckily at the same time, my daily supplied me with a junker ecotec motor i could pinch parts from. First and foremost, the LIM. Cleaned it up until it was as good as new, and then performed a mod on it costing just 20 cents! There is also one other mod i did with the LIM before it was installed which isn't pictured here yet.

Since I was going to use the ecotec LIM and fuel rail setup, I had to block off the injector bosses in the L67 heads. Went to my engine builder and he gave me some welch plugs, i applied some permanent strength Loctite and banged them in! Also had some new ZZP metal LIM gaskets to go in

Had some new ARP bolts ready to go in, and the ecotec LIM was installed. This pic shows the extra mod i did to the LIM before it went on, can you see it?

Haha in case you cant, I drilled the LIM and added an extra factory style crankcase breather outlet. So with the PCV blocked there are 2 crankcase outlets that will go to a catch can. I hope this will be enough ventilation, if not then i will run ones from the rocker covers too.

Same day this went on, Haydz polished up the set of fuel rails that came off the junker motor too, thanks dude!

Now at this point, I was still waiting for the sender of the turbo gear to get the mace plenum to me as they had forgotten to send it with the rest of the stuff. A combination of this and a lack of cashflow stalled things for too long and it got too late to be done before powercruise. Oh well, at least i didn't have the stress of a deadline now!

Things got to the point where i just went and found and purchased another reverse plenum so i could finish off the top end. So that's what i did! Here's a pic of it mocked up with the manifold and plenum spacers, the bonnet webbing will need to be modified haha!

Typically enough, i had gone for months with no reverse plenum, then i go and buy another one and the one i originally paid for shows up the following week!

Here's the mace one with the plenum spacer just sitting there. Yes I've painted the manifold and plenum spacers but haven't sanded them smooth, i think i will sand this one after seeing Richie's! That plenum lid is at the metal polishers as i type...

Haydz sold me the intercooler he used on his A2A super6, so he helped me mount that up!

At this stage i thought it was a good idea to get the manifolds and turbo exhaust side ceramic coated as previously the manifolds were only painted. I got them done in black as it has a higher temperature handling ability than the polished look (950*C versus 650*C). Cost me $500 from CompCoat.

Wow I've done a fair bit of catching up now!

More soon :D

Last edited:

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Hey Dan love the new direction with your baby!!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Wow Dan.
From what I saw on the laptop this morning to what I read on the phone now, sounds and looks amazing!
Keen to hear the rest.

vsdreamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Seriously nice car you got there mate. Keep up the good work. Mods are crazy and makes a very good read. Love your work, keep it up !!!