Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WTF-SIX] VSII 6 Speed Manual Supercharged 4.2 Litre

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Sat here reading this build for hours now good job man look forward to seeing the revised product :)

Thanks mate! Ive always wanted to make this thread interesting and in depth enough so that it's of some use to even me when I need reminding about how I did something! Some more material to follow right now!

Whats the size of the spacers, are they both 25mm each?

They both look to be 25mm, might of done some bonnet mods to make it fit..

Got it in one! Yeah they are both the 25mm, and hell yes bonnet mods were required. More info to follow!

Sooooo finally i get around to a new update, last one was mid last year!

So I was up to the cooler piping, I roughly decided what I needed and ordered a "universal" kit from ebay. I just decided it was easier to work with and I got to specify what bends and sizes etc I needed, and that way I could design exactly where the pipes ran and how, as opposed to leaving it with a shop to do it in whatever manner they chose.

Knowing I would have to get bits modified here and there regardless wasnt really a concern of mine, just took a few weeks to get completed as I would have to work out what needed to be done with one piece before I sent the next bit off to get done. So here are some pics, I was recommended to use 2.5" piping hot side of the cooler and 3" cold side.

The stone deflector fit nicely in there on the hot side with the smaller piping but not so well on the cold side so i've since trimmed both sides back to the underside of the radiator support...

During this process I also re-mounted the vacuum ball, it's still in the same location but up a fair bit higher and did away with the original mounting bracket.

Getting there

After working out what bends I needed I was left with this to sort out (and cut silicone bends to length), also fitted the boost feed for the wastegate which can be seen here. Later it was re-clocked to point straight up. The turbo front housing has also since been slightly re-clocked too to give sufficient clearance to the inner guard

Scored a Go Fast Bits Respons BOV for a steal, original flange was to suit a subaru so bought an aluminium mating flange from GFB and had that welded to the intake pipe before bolting on the valve. It has dual ports and can run all sorts of configurations including being completely blocked off as though it wasnt there at all, fully venting to atmosphere or full plumb back or anywhere in between so I can at least make that part of the system legal if I want to

With the pipe layout I was keen on and had pipe purchased for, meant that the lower third of the throttle cable bracket had to go! Took a bit of time to get right...

And the cooler piping finally finished! Still need intake to airbox done and dump pipe as well

Modded the bonnet to fit everything underneath with the 2x 25mm mace spacers, its a very tight fit once the bonnet is shut but does the job!

Somewhere in here I also relocated the charcoal canister, with some very slight plumbing rearrangement I have succeeded in retaining the factory configuration, purge solenoid and all! And the plate that screws in over the filler neck etc still fits just fine!

Bought and installed a Go Fast Bits G-Force II electronic boost controller

Also fitted up a new leather deep dish steering wheel as my previous one was pretty tired. Still getting used to it, not sure if it will stay long term but came up at a swap meet so picked it up! Also upgraded all interior lighting to white LED, so nice and white and bright in there, especially with the door courtesy lights!

Then off to the shop to get the dump pipe and intake made up. Managed to fit a 3.5" dump with wastegate plumbed back. Continues 3.5" through one of the cats I had left over from the previous exhaust all the way back into the previous 3" muffler I had on before and out the back. Here is a pic of the dump just after it was done, I am yet to get any pics of the zorst under the car but its a damn nice job under there, nice and tight to the body!

Average pic showing the 4" intake to the airbox, also strut brace fitted up after having to remove a slight amount of its underside to clear the plenum lid!

Tune was booked in with Dick, 13.5psi worth of wastegate springs loaded in and a few weeks later after making sure all was ready to go, on the trailer it went!

Off the trailer, front bar and number plate finally back on, looking mean if i do say so myself lol

At this point the car was finally started (after realising I had forgotten to reconnect one connector for the engine loom up under the glovebox), and coolant and power steering fluid went in. Shortly after, huge amounts of coolant came straight back out, a factory rubber o-ring which i replaced had given way on the tube that pushes into the lim under the thermostat. After Dick found me a replacement o-ring and we smashed on some liquid gasket there and on the thermostat housing which we also removed, away we went for the first small drive.

A few things came to light during the course of the day:
A small part of the dump would contact the chassis rail under certain conditions, thus setting off the knock sensors. This was sorted by commanding the knock sensors "not to listen" under 2500rpm
The factory o2 sensors needed to be "turned off" for the car to run properly, as the drivers side sees its 3 cylinders worth of exhaust gases, but the passenger's side sees all 6 due to its location. They still work for closed loop operation but the ECU is just running a "commanded AFR" for the time being which isnt the most ideal but is still very good!
I remember pushing 4psi in one of the earliest drives and the feeling was amazing! Just got better and better as the day went on, it absolutely flies!
Then we had a play with the boost controller and found that running in the vicinity of ~18psi was starting to find the limit of the intank walbro, which I had expected.

I was advised to probably just run it at gate pressure until I have some more fuel system, which is fine by me.
While on one of these few higher boost runs though it appears that the oil possibly got too hot and later found out that it had flogged out the turbo bearings which was ****!

So off came the turbo to get checked out and I was told that the oil could have got too hot and that there was metal in the oil, one bearing was more discoloured than the other (possibly heat) and both were scored.

The car was off the road for a while; so I had the turbo rebuilt, sent that batch of oil away for testing, did a compression test (well as good a one as we could with only using a rubber end on the comp tester as we didnt have the right threaded end) which seemed to give the same results across all cylinders, bought some diesel oil to run for a short time to flush the engine out, and rigged up a temporary oil pressure gauge to check that.

Next we put it all back together and I drove it for ~40km before dropping the diesel oil and replacing it with Royal Purple again. I have been running the car at gate pressure since with no real drama apart from crank case venting which I knew would happen! It would push oil out past the oil cap with the old catch can setup of 2 3/8 hoses from the LIM to the can which then ran back to the TB, now I have those original breathers running with an additional -10 baffled rocker cover fitting to the can which is now also vented to atmosphere with a K&N for the time being. When the passenger side rocker cover comes off it will likely get the same treatment!

I have since turfed the matt black bonnet and thrown this one on from the wreckers as a stopgap until its full respray time, had to mod it to fit the plenum as well obviously...

and a current bay photo, I've bought some heat reflective tape and used some on the bonnet and the strut tower next to the turbo

Anyway I still need to get some good driving videos, but all I can say right now is that it's plenty of fun! Loaded up in a tall gear it starts seeing boost at ~1750rpm and hits gate pressure of 13.5psi by about 3500rpm which has been made better again by adjusting the "gain" on the boost controller which keeps the gate shut longer, thus helping build boost faster! I have been told this turbo really starts to "get going" at 15psi so I can only imagine it will be pretty insane!

Anyway at the moment it will break traction no problems in gears 1-3, and will find out what 4th can do when I am in the right place to do it eg, drags, track day or powercruise which I have entered again this year after missing the previous 2 years, can't wait for that!!

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Good to see it all coming together, looks about 10 times better now it has a green bonnet, whats the go with the respray, same colour or something new?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
[Q UOTE=rch-13z;2596011]This car makes me happy in the pants[/QUOTE]
Ditto

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
awesome work dan cant wait for the vids of the turbo screaming

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice job , I'm intrigued by the 2 x 25mm spacers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2