Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Xenon Headlights not that good - Part 2

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
I recently reported that the headlights in my Caprice (Bi Xenon) weren't all that good.

The other night driving home, I passed a mid 80's Corona. As he dipped his high beam, I hit mine only to find that my high beam was worse than his.....

I've had the car back to the dealer who informed me that everything checked out fine and that I'd just have to get used to them. If I wanted to take thing further, I could contact Holden.

So I did.....

When I rang, the helpful bloke at Holden took my details, noted my concern, and then rang the dealer to find out what they did. He then repeated to me everything that the dealer told me....so much for taking things further. He then went on to say that these headlights had been fitted to thousands of other cars in Australia and were fine. I repeated calmly many times that I didn't give two tosses about how many other cars had the headlights fitted, the ones fitted to my car weren't very good and that I considered them to be a safety issue that I wanted Holden to address. His response? I could take the car to an auto electrician and get them to work out if a higher wattage bulb could be fitted or not, and if so, what size it could be. I could then take the car back to Holden and they would fit the new bulb (the manual says that you have to take a Caprice back to them to change teh headlight bulbs). I protested that why I should pay to work out the tollerances of their car? Shouldn't they already know that? His response? They're not auto electricians......

In the end, we decided that I would take the vehicle to another Holden dealer for them to check it out and a case was opened; number 1-82106191. If they find anything wrong, then Holden may do something about it.

Now for the interesting part (I hope someone from Holden actually reads this forum).

Yesterday, I turned on the approach lights option as where I park the car at work is undercover and poorly lit at the end of the day. As I approached the car and unlocked it, the headlights came on (obviuosly). For some reason, I was drawn to the left hand headlight as it didn't look right for some reason. It took me a few seconds to work out what was wrong; the internal bulb itself was very dull and covered in finger prints and what looks like wipe marks from a rag. The right hand one wasn't much better.

So at some time in it's life, the car has had it's headlight bulbs replaced or at least played with and the num knut that did the work left his paw prints all over the bulb. In trying to clean up, he's only made it worse.

The original dealer didn't spot it. The car goes to the other dealer on Tuesday. I'll be interested to see if they spot it.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Car was at the dealership at Woden.

Basically, the headlights appeared to be working normally. They didn't think that the smudge marks on the bulbs made any difference. I'm not convinced.

They were sympathetic to my problem, but weren't able to help any further or offer any solutions. Basically, I'm stuck with what I consider to be very poorly performing headlights. I'm on my own...

I'd like to hear from any other Caprice owners to see if they have the same issue. I know that some Statesmens also have Xenons fitted, but I would like to compare like with like.

Troy - have you got any hints on how to get the front spoiler off so that I can get to the lights?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
my question is would be why are there finger prints on the bulb in the first place?

every set of lights i have changed the pack tells you not to touch the globe and if you do, wipe it over with metho

i would also be asking how they tested the lights, did they test them during normal business hours or did they use it after hours?

If i can con my old man to letting me use his car one night, i'll see what the headlights are like

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'd like to hear from any other Caprice owners to see if they have the same issue. I know that some Statesmens also have Xenons fitted, but I would like to compare like with like.

Troy - have you got any hints on how to get the front spoiler off so that I can get to the lights?

I'll ask the bloke across the road from my parents, he has a Caprice.

There is a thread on here on how to remove the front bumper, dunno where though, but it was posted recently. Maybe in the how-to section. I'll have a look.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
They only tested the lights during the day...

Troy - I found the thread for removing a Commodore front, the Caprice and Stato are slightly different around the radiator surround. Do you undo the 8mm bolts that hold the bumper bracket to the radiator surround, or is there a way to pull the plastic bumper off of the bracket itself? Everything else is as per the other post.

Thanks all if you can get a comment from the other Caprice owners, much apprciated.

Russell

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
They only tested the lights during the day...

yeah cos thats gonna work

switch lights on........look at them.........yeah they work, dunno how bright but they work

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
for your info only: the head lights should always look SLIGHTLY different left to right as in australia law states that the AIM of the headlights must be dipped rhf only left flat only

as for poor lighting of ROAD at Night i have been recommending contacting narva for aftermarket globes with clearer lights as the narve version appears much more clear

and also the old ronas have bi-focal high's meaning much more condensed light spread this has DELIBERATELY been removed since 90's late models as doesn't light up side road as well.

hope this helps!~

finger prints on bulbs are from INCORRECT fitting procedure

to remove MOST ve/wm lights you must remove bumper and THREE ten mm bolts

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
yep, that'd be about the extent of it.... :hmmm: